Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Denovo NT: Cartilage repair for defect behind patella, left knee.  (Read 11613 times)

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello All,

I have just had surgery on 1/28/14.
I will be writing a diary on my recovery. I will try to update regularly and answer questions you may have.

Background:
Male,
24yo
Left knee, first knee surgery

I hurt myself while hiking/bushwalking. I'm not sure how I tear up my articular cartilage behind my left knee patella, but I suspect a fall in July, 2013. I started having significant knee pain in September, 2013. On October, I was diagnosed with the tear through a MRI. My first OS opinion was to have surgery. My second OS opinion was to do physical therapy first, I tried for 2.5 months but PT did not helped me significantly. I was having problems walking more than 2 blocks. I decided on Denovo NT to repair my torn cartilage.

Day 1 (day of surgery):
Surgery lasted approximately 2 hours.
I checked in the hospital around 7 AM and by 2:30 PM I was already home.
Pain was virtually non-existent probably due to anesthesia left overs, I was given a knee brace to use all the time.

Day 2:
Pain was minimum, I started CPM machine. My doc wants me to do 0-30 degrees for 6-8 hours per day. I'm taking the prescribed vicodin on regular schedule.

Day 3:
Pain is severe! The anesthesia finally wore off and even with Vicodin, I'm in a lot of pain. Doc said that I can put some weight on the foot of the affected knee, but I'm using the crutches all the time. I'm still doing CPM, up to 34 degrees now.

Day 4:
More pain, I asked the doc if I could double my dosage of Vicodin and he agreed. I'm starting to put some weight on the affected knee/foot. My quads are not responding at all. I can't raise my leg on its own, I use the right leg to lift the left leg. I'm on CPM, up to 44 degrees now. I'm a lot of problems sleeping through out the night. For now, that's all. I will update as necessary.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:21:16 AM by 2iron-knee »

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Denovo NT: Cartilage repair for defect behind patella, left knee.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
That pain should finish soon, but you will keep having inflammation for a long while more until it turns residual.

I had 3 surgeries to the same knee, including 1 full open joint.

For now just be very careful, I find it hard to believe he put you CPM so soon, since the Denovo Procedure is something so fragile to hold in the early stages. Specially in the patella which rubs hard into femur.

Well, keep us posted. I am curious to see how the results turn.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Day 5:
Pain is starting to go down a notch. I'm taking Vicodin every 6 hours as oppose to 3 hrs. I'm still in a lot of discomfort especially while wearing the knee brace. It it's tight it hurts, if it's lose it hurts. The only true pain free zone for now is the CPM machine. I'm up to 49 degrees now. I accidentantly put too much weight on the affected knee/foot while wearing the brace today and it started hurting more. I'm icing as I write this. The doc said I could put weight on it but today was too much. Lesson learned.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:52:58 AM »
Day 6:
I'm still in pain but it is slowly going down. I hardly have any inflammation. I ice my knee right after doing CPM. I've broken down the CPM sessions to 4 chunks of 2 hours each. I like being in that machine because I hardly feel any pain while exercising. The brace is very uncomfortable. I start work tomorrow ( from home). Fiding a comfortable position to have my computer to do my job will be difficult. I'm at 54 degrees now in the CPM. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:25:04 AM »
Day 7:
Pain continues to go down. Still doing CPM 8 hrs a day. Finding a good position to work on my computer was difficult. If anyone goes through a similar scenario, I suggest you buy yourself one of those mobile hospital tables for food.

Day 8:
I still can't sleep through out the night. As soon as my pain med wears off I wake up.
Pain is no longer severe but still there. I'm up to 65 degrees in the CPM. The doc said that my goal is to reach 110 degrees in 3 weeks so I'm slowly increasing it by 5 degrees per day. My leg muscles have started to twitch I assume it's proof that pretty soon they'll wake up. At least my ITB seems to be partially working as I can move my leg sideways.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:56 AM »
Day 9:
I visited my doctor today. They removed the thread of the stitches, apparently the remaining staples will be absorbed by my body which is something I had never heard of. My pain levels continue to decrease, I am officially out of the Oxycodone. The doc gave me a lesser pain med, acetaminophen/Tylenol. The doc wants me to continue CPM only, no PT for me yet.

Offline randomlife

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
Hey there! Sounds like you're making much positive progress! I'm about 17 months out from DeNovo under my right patella, and I've learned that patience, more than anything else, is key to this recovery.

I was on the CPM for 24 hours a day for the first ten days after surgery (I was only allowed up for exercises and to go to the bathroom). Then I was on the CPM for about 15-17 hours a day until I hit three weeks. My understanding is that this helped to shape the cartilage graft, in addition to helping the knee maintain some kind of ROM. Also, for the first 10 days, I wasn't supposed to engage my quads at all (harder to do than one might think!) because of how delicate the graft is at first. A recent scope showed that the graft has grown into some kind of cartilage cover (it's not totally smooth), and I have no exposed bone. So I think the CPM was a good thing, at least for me.

I hope your pain continues to decrease. Have you figured out a comfortable position for work? I used a lap desk for my computer, but one of those hospital tables should do the trick, too. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
lk
03/10: Lateral tibial plateau fx
05/11: Chondroplasty of lateral tibial plateau and patella w/ extensive synovectomy
02/12: Grade III lesions on patella, new Grade II fissure on medial femoral condyle
09/12: DeNovo and Elmslie-Trillat TTT
01/14: Hardware removal and arthroscopy

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:13:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback lk.
I did figure out a position using my futon and pillows.

Day 10:
Pain is much less now. I have started my first steps using the crutches. I'm still on CPM up to 75 degrees now. I have attached two pictures one is the MRI of my defect and the other one is me wearing this uncomfortable brace of mine using the CPM machine as a resting spot.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:34 AM »
Day 11:
Pain continues to go down. I'm already attempting to walk with the crutches. My muscles are responding once again. I can't raise the weight of my leg with my quads yet. I'm taking Aleve/Naxproxen for inflammation and pain. I will try to stay away from the Opiods since one side effect of it is constipation. I'm up to 80 degrees in CPM.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:41:17 AM by 2iron-knee »

Offline Meniscus Boy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »
Hey there
My name is Kevin an I'm wondering how you're feeling after the Denovo NT?

It sounds like its probably the most advanced procedure available at this time.

Has anyone ever told you to seek out some prolo therapy in addition to the regular treatment to possibly enhance healing and final result?

Please let me know your email and perhaps I can email or call you to see how it's going

Wishing you the best

Meniscus boy

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
@Kevin/Meniscus Boy: I'm feeling fine. I'm still recovering from surgery as you can read in this diary. I will try to update regularly so that others can read what progress is like. No one has ever said anything about prolo therapy. My doctor wants me to do physical therapy but later on. Thank you for your wishes, you can contact me in this diary, I will respond.

Day 12: Pain is very little now. I'm starting to take showers! The Medical Assistant said I can. Prior to taking showers I was using moist wipes (aka baby wipes).  Getting in the tub is challenging but the crutches are great help. I don't do it alone, my significant other helps me. A shower feels awesome! When the water touched the incision I felt a small burning sensation but nothing to cry about.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »
Day 13:
I'm starting to feel a burning sensation when doing CPM. I believe it's due to the cloth being stretched nonetheless it is annoying. I'm up to 90 degrees now, a milestone I think. Pain continues to go down. I walked without crutches today, only a few steps but it felt good.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
Day 14: I have stopped taking pain medications. I'm drug free! I'm still doing CPM for a minimum of 6 hours a day. Up to 95 degrees now. Whenever I try to walk my entire left leg feels weak and unstable. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
Day 15: Still doing CPM. I am officially two weeks post op. The doctor said that I leave the crutches behind. I have started to walk without them a few steps around the house. Pain comes and goes.

Day 16: Walking without crutches around the house turned out to be more challenging than I thought. I have not taken any pain meds in 3 days although there is some burning sensation that comes and goes. I'm up to 100 degrees in the CPM. I'm still wearing the knee brace all day with the two exceptions of while on CPM and while taking a shower.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Day 17:
My leg is definitely getting stronger. I still feel very unstable and weak whenever I walk. I'm following CPM schedule religiously. I'm up to 105 degrees now. I'm still working from home and I have not driven my car anywhere since surgery perhaps this weekend...

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 04:33:11 AM »
Day 18:
I have finally achieve my doc's goal for the CPM machine, 110 degrees!!! I also walk longer without crutches and today I even went down and up 3 flights of stairs. Always wearing my knee brace which makes for an awkward situation.

Offline hank_04

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
Im about to have the same procedure done for my right knee. Did you have the tibial tubercle osteotomy? My surgeon is planning to do this so it will lower the pressure of the knee cap. Anythings that you wish you had at home that would make things easier for you?

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
@hank_04:  I didn't have any other surgery besides the Denovo NT. Nothing else was done other than this procedure. Your doc probably has good reasons to do that extra procedure for you. One thing I wish I had ready was a very comfortable reclining chair. I underestimated how uncomfortable this knee brace actually is.

Day 19: My left leg is still weak and my quads are still not responding. I continue to do CPM up to 110 degrees so as to not force the issue. The only pain I feel is above 90 degrees bend.

Day 20: I finally drove my car today to a local pub for some food and cider with my significant other. Getting in and out of the car is a challenge because the quads are not responding so I can't lift the weight of my leg. Driving was simple because I have an automatic car. The pain while sitting was very small. I'm still doing CPM for 6 hours a day to 110 degrees.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »
Day 21:
I'm walking a lot more comfortable now always with the knee brace. The pain while bending the knee in the CPM machine is still there. The scar is becoming to look a lot less inflamed.

Day 22: I'm officially 3 weeks since surgery. Leg is feeling a lot stronger whenever I walk. I still have CPM machine at my house, I think tomorrow will be the last day. I will also talk to my surgeon tomorrow, I will definitely ask him when I can remove this brace and when I can start PT. Hopefully, he'll give me pictures too so that I can share. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Meniscus Boy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
Hello
My friend
How long did the doctor tell you until you can run and you're at 100%?

I've heard varying stories

I just wanted to verify, that you had a focal defect of the medial patellar facet?

It was not all the way through correct?

What was the size of the defect anyways?

Wishing you the best!

Meniscus boy-

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
@Meniscus Boy/Kevin

1. The doctor expects me to be doing normal physical activity in 6 months. However, he says it varies person to person. For some it takes 1 year others take 1.5 years. As far as running, I don't know. I didn't ask him that because I don't personally run. My passion is hiking.

2. Yes my MRI diagnosis stated that I had a "large tear of the femoral patellar articular cartilage involving the medial facet with the tear extending to lateral half of the medial facet".

3. Not all the way through.

4. I do not know the exact size. The MRI doesn't say. I don't remember what the doctor said either.
Thanks for the wishes.

Day 23:
So I went to see my doctor today and he thinks my incision has healed very well and has told me to stop CPM and start PT next week. He also has given me permission to bend the knee when sitting and sleep without the brace  :) :D ;D I'm still supposed to have my knee brace on whenever I walk about.

Day 24:
The quads are starting to respond. I can lift my left leg on its own a few centimeters. There is some pain when I'm sitting down with bend knee, but nothing too harsh.

P.S. I don't have pictures of surgery yet.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Day 25:
I'm recovering just fine. I'm still walking with the knee brace. The quads are still not responding.

Day 26:
The doctor told me to slide my left leg throug a smooth surface so as to imitate the CPM movement. I can't bend the knee on it's own more than ~100 degrees. There is pain when I slide the knee but nothing too harsh.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »
Day 27: Nothing new to report. Just waiting on my first PT appointment due tomorrow.

Day 28: Officially 4 weeks post op. Today was my first PT session. The exercises  that they gave me were all of them painful and none was weight bearing. The PT person had me on the stim machine so as to help my quads start to fire. He had me to leg raises which I was gladly surprised to know that I was able to do 20 of them. PT guy helped me get started but I was able to do leg raises on my own. The doctor told me that I'll be wearing the knee brace whenever I walk for at least the next 4 weeks  :(  :'(

P.S.
I've uploaded a picture of my surgery. You can see the size of the Denovo NT graft which does not look like the rest of my cartilage. It's in the first post.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Day 29: Pain in the whole knee area at rest is virtually non-existent. When I'm doing my PT exercises it does hurt quite significant especially when doing leg raises. I actually did leg raises today without anyone's help. My knee does not bend more than ~92 degrees so I definitely need to work on that.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:10 AM »
Day 30:
Today at PT I actually was able to do a stationary bike for 10 minutes!!! The first 10 revolutions or so did hurt quite a bit but the PT fellow says it's due to stiffness. My leg raises are getting much easier but they are still the most painful of all the PT exercises. I also took a shower today without any assistance.  :D 8) :)

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
Day 31:
So today is officially 1 month post surgery. Although the process of recovery seems very slow to me (I don't have any previous experience to compare) I feel that pretty soon my leg will be normal again. I continue to do PT exercise at home twice a day. I'm still wearing the knee brace whenever I walk about.

P.S. Since it's been 1 month of almost daily updates, I'll start to update less frequently. When significant progress is made or when setbacks occur. Or maybe weekly... 8)

Offline Meniscus Boy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »
Hey there,
Sounds like you're doing well

Glad to hear your progress is going so quickly

Most people need about 6-12 months to totally e back to normal, though I guess it also depends on the size f the defect filled in etc

Keep up with the updates as I have an unfortunate feeling that I might be needing to get this done sometime in the near future

Take care

Meniscus boy

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Takes time, sometimes long months before you gain back ROM, strength and speed reaction.

However don't over force it, you don't want to break the graft, it takes time to heal...

ROM will come back in time, the major secret is to hold he leg bent for longer periods without over forcing it... that way the tendons will stretch back.

But since your problem is with the patella go slow with it! You are young and you have time... no point in risking it all...

Offline leftcart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I am looking at a similar operation.  I've held off for 5 years now able to get by but a recent blow up may be the final straw.  I can't seem to get relief from the pain at all now.  Old MRI showed cartilage damage so most likely either Microfracture or Denovo to fix and I guess I am looking at similar recovery.  Updated MRI will tell soon.  Can you tell me what you did the first two weeks post op?  My best understanding is that I have to lay in bed 24 hrs for the better part of 10 days or more strapped to the CPM machine.  Is that correct?
 :( 

Thanks!

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »
@MDAL
Thanks for the advice.

@Leftcart
You can read on the diary on this thread what I did the first 10 days post op.
You don't have to lay in bed for all 24hrs but due to pain and discomfort you're probably going to be resting. You'll probably be in CPM machine for about 8 hours of each day.
Always leave surgery as last resort, hopefully you can heal as you did in the past without having to go through surgery.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 03:32:11 AM »
Day 50 (~7 weeks):

Today was a great day in my road to recovery. My doctor finally gave me the green light to take off my knee brace. I am officially walking without a brace. He says my knee looks great. He wants me to start on focusing in strenghtening my quads and hamstrings. He does not think I need PT anymore because strenghtening muscles is something I can do at the gym or at home but that before I stop PT I should get a program from them to do at home. All in all my knee feels good and the steps I took around the house without the brace felt ackward but it did feel awesome to do it. I do feel a lot better.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 04:35:32 AM »
Day 51:
Second day walking without the knee brace, I have to take baby steps to feel confident that I won't fall. My physical therapist thinks that I can't stop PT just yet and that I need to continue to go at least once a week which I will do because I like to hear the progress from others it builds confidence and I think they'll make me get out of my comfort zone. The knee does look a bit swollen after today's normal routine so I'm icing as I write this. I will update in a couple weeks or so.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 04:35:41 AM »
Day 60 (Two Months post-op):

The knee continues to heal. I'm doing physical therapy everyday at home and once a week I go to the Physical Therapy office. They have increased the level of difficulty for my exercises. The most challenging for me is balancing on the operated knee while bending. It's tough because my quads are not recuperated yet. I am walking with a small gimp, but the PT people tell me it will go away when my quads and hamstrings are strong enough to pull on the patella on their own. I have not tried doing stairs down yet because I fear I will fall. But I have started doing stairs on the way up, it's challenging and tough but there isn't pain. Hopefully with another month of PT, I'll walk normal without the gimp  ;D

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:39 AM »
Day 78:

Checking in to give you an update.
My knee continues to heal. I can walk longer and faster than before. I can do 4 flights of stairs up without a lot of discomfort although my knee feels very tight/stiff. Unfortunately, I can't do stairs down which it's frustrating because I would think that by now I would be able to. I continue to do physical therapy every day. I will update again in a few days.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 03:24:23 AM »
Day 90:

Well I can say now that I'm almost back to full functionality. I can do stairs in the way down now!!!! It's still very awkward because my knee can't fully support my weight on the way down but it's getting there! I have started swimming twice a week at the gym freestyle only. I'm not doing a lot of laps only a few, more because I'm out of shape than for knee pain. So that's a positive. I continue to do physical therapy everyday at home. The PT person tells me that to his judgement I am now in strength recovery phase and that he believes I will be able to do hiking again without an issue but that I shouldn't over force my knee too soon.

P.S. Make sure that if you decide to get the Denovo NT procedure you get written confirmation of approval from your insurance otherwise you will end up navigating insurance crap just to get the claims settled.

Offline ksteen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
Thank you so much for your updates.  I have been talking about doing this with my doc for a couple of years.  I'll have a few holes to plug, so mine will be a bit more intensive, but I've been scared to death of getting the insurance letter saying they won't cover the cost.  Can you elaborate on what your bills are, and what you have gone through from the insurance perspective?  Who is your carrier, etc.  Thanks so much.  Your progress on day 90 is quite encouraging.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
@ksteen.
My total cost so far is around $40,000. I'm currently in the process of appealing claims that my insurance has denied claiming that the Denovo NT procedure is not proven to fix cartilage defects. They had initially approved the procedure verbally but later backed out. That's why I advice you or anyone else to get written approval from the insurance company. I'm not going to name them to avoid any litigation problems.

Day 95:
I have been clear to start cycling and flat trail walking by my PT person. I will be cautious about it because I've yet to ask my doctor for clearance. I continue to swim twice a week and do PT at home daily. My knee is starting to feel normal again but gaining my strength will be key in the next months to fully heal.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »
Day 104 (~15 weeks) post-op:

Hello everyone,

I was given excellent news today regarding my surgery from my OS.
He has cleared me to start hiking again :) He does want me to build my ability and to not over do it until from the start. He agrees with the PT person and I can also start cycling. He thinks that my knee has healed incredibly well but that he wants to see me again in two months to clear me for good from observation. I just finished my first 3 mile hike around a trail near my house and it felt awesome to be out again without pain. The knee felt weak on the way down but it was not painful. I'll continue to build my muscles and hopefully the weakness will go away. Now my outstanding issue is the insurance claims.

Offline ksteen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
Great news on your progress.  I have an appointment with my doc to do this.  I can't wait to be 104 days out on mine - but I have two knees that need to be done, so I have a long road ahead of me.
You didn't mention your insurance company, but I found the following document which should apply to me (my insurance company/my state), so I am extremely hopeful this will work out.  I don't know if this info will help you out or not.  Good luck with the insurance claims. 
https://secure.bcbsm.com/mprApp/MedicalPolicyDocument?fileId=2059704

Offline wingedfeet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »
How are you doing now?
10/13 Traumatic patella dislocation with huge chondral defect
10/13 Denovo graft and MPFL repair

Offline stephlouise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
@2iron-knee,

Do you have any updates regarding the longer-term progress or success of the graft? I'm on Day 11 following my DeNovo graft surgery (behind patella, left knee, 2 square cm defect) and my progress is thus far similar to yours from your diary, though my doc has been more conservative with the CPM and weight-bearing. I'm also worried about how fragile the graft is and have had a couple of "scares" with accidental twisting on the CPM - any time I feel new pain (or hear a crack, which has happened once) I panic that I've just dislodged this graft. All I hear is negativity about the fragility of the graft behind the patella. So it would be great to hear how things worked out for you over one year post-op.

Your progress in the diary was very encouraging! It would be great if you could update again. Thanks, and all the best.

Offline 2iron-knee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:05 AM »
@steplouise:

I know this is super late but I do have an update.

Day 773 (2 years, 1 month, 12 days) post-op:

I am  and have been fully functional for a long time now. I don't exactly remember when that happened, but I have been able to get back to hiking 100%. There has not been any restriction whatsoever of the things I can do. I even started doing mountaineering and rock climbing and my knee has responded superbly.
I do; however, feel that my operated knee (left) is the weakling of my knees. Sometimes whether consciously or not, I use my right knee more often to descend stairs or descend trails which I believe is a sign that my quads and hamstrings in my left leg never actually recovered fully. I feel very lucky that I chose to have the Denovo NT surgery and despite having to pay the costs of the surgery fully out-of-pocket I do feel that it was worth it.

Offline 01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 02:20:18 AM »
Congratulations on your recovery! I am recovering from a Denovo NT procedure myself and your story is an inspiration!
04/2016 Denovo NT on LFC/trochlea

Offline stephlouise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
@2iron-knee:

Thank you so much for the update! Hearing that you're hiking and climbing is very encouraging. It's not too surprising that you're noticing lingering weakness in the left knee. The degree of atrophy I experienced (complete atrophy of the quad and hamstring, practically, and also the left knee) seems like something that will be extremely difficult to completely overcome. The rebuilding of the muscle is also what I find most difficult.

It's also a relief to hear you're glad you had this surgery. I also paid 100% out of pocket (or, am still paying, rather) for the surgery and all rehab costs. So far, I'm happy I did it. Mobility is priceless - but I've wondered if I'll still feel this way a year down the road. Again, very encouraging. Thanks for replying - and for sharing your progress.

@01:
Good luck with your recovery! I updated my post-op diary, and if you ever have any questions or concerns, I'd be happy to pass along anything I've learned from my experience.

support