Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 15 yr old son having MPFLr  (Read 3129 times)

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
15 yr old son having MPFLr
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »
My son is having MPFLr on Monday. He is only 15 and has been dealing with 3 subluxations and 2 dislocations in the past  17 months. All xrays have been negative for any bone issues (chips, abnormalities, etc.). He is ready for the surgery hoping it will provide pain relief and return to normal activities. My son is an elite baseball catcher (I know many people cringe at that)... My question is will he be able to get back to 100%? He has been doing PT exercises daily since the first occurence so his quad and calf are both very strong in hopes that will aid in recovery. I have read a lot about the surgery itself, but cannot find much information about long term recovery. Any info would be appreciated!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: 15 yr old son having MPFLr
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi There,

Sorry to read up on your post that your son is already having knee problems at such a young age. The positive part is that your son has youth on his side, so will be able to recover and heal quicker. 

Nowadays knee surgeons are very advanced and use surgical techniques that will have minimal impact and will only do what is required. It looks like your son has psyched himself up and is ready for the surgery. Right now he may be feeling optimistic and ok about it all until the actual day of the surgery. On the day of his knee surgery he will get anxious and panic slightly, this is perfectly normal.

Keeping on top of his PT is really important he will recover a lot quicker if he religiously keeps on top of his PT that has been given to him. I am sure he will stick to doing the exercises and after knee surgery.

His knee will never be 100% perfect with the problems he has got now, even people with healthy knees are never 100% perfect as most of us have the odd knee pain and twinge. The knees carry the majority of your body weight that will slowly wear out as we get older.

Also he should not overdo things after his surgery as he needs to gradually get back into playing baseball again as a catcher, by following the advice and guidance from his OS and PT. Having strong quads before his surgery will aid with his recovery period.

Good luck and please let the board know how your sons surgery goes, you yourself must be feeling nervous as it hard to see your own child having a surgical procedure done. He will be fine as I said at the start he young and fit so should make a full recovery.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
Assuming all goes well (knock on wood) At such a young age your son will likely make a full recovery and return to any sport he chooses. Especially if he is serious about baseball/athletics. He will have a high motivation to follow the rehab plan. Best advice is dont rush back but have him listen to the doctors/pts he's working with on when he can return. He will return to a 100%... But like clarkey kind of suggests it is a 'different' 100%. It will always be a surgical knee that may always need a little more maintenence in regrds to pt/strength/icing/etc if he continues at an elite level of baseball. but trust me thats brtter than an unstable knee. And doing nothing would likely have more dire long term consequences than having surgery.

I had the mpfl 2.5 years ago. I have returned to the level of activity I wanted. Met all my goals on that front and am probably more active after surgery than before simply because I can trust my knee not to dislocate.

Good luck with everything. Trust you are doing the right thing by your son. Better to correct it now than wait for more damage/problems down the road.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »
Thanks for the info and I will definitely update on how he does.  I think I am more nervous than he is simply because I know how frustrating recovery can be. I guess on the up side to things he is incredibly motivated if for no other reason by the thought of not having to wear a brace for everything anymore.

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:15:51 AM »
Just a quick update...surgery went well. It was lengthy, but successful as far as the grafting went. The old ligament was pretty much not there so it definitely needed to be done. He is to start leg lifts tomorrow and therapy in two days. They did give him a pain ball to numb him up a bit for the remainder of the week and we are doing pain meds and antibiotics. So hopefully tomorrow will be uneventful. For now it's nap time for mom as I have more alarms set than I have in years to keep up with meds. Thanks again!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Thank you for keeping the board posted, glad your sons knee surgery went smoothly, that was the only option left for him.

Now he just has to keep on top of what he is told to do by his PT and OS and should recover quickly and get back to full fitness. When I said can never reach 100% again did not meant it in a negative way after any type of knee surgery the knee will never be 100% again maybe 95% which is still good.

I am sure your son will be between 95% & 99% recovery as he has youth on his side and will do whatever he is told by his medical team to get back into playing baseball again competitively.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Well pain wise we seem to be leveling out some but have hit a bit of a road block. He had a femoral nerve block that came out thursday evening and now he is having trouble getting that quad to fire. Due to our awful weather, therapy could not be started this week and we have to wait until monday to start. I'm pleasantly surprised that there is not a ton of swelling and really no bruising but we have been very diligent with ice and motrin. Has anyone had one of these blocks or quad problems after? I'll admit that I am a bad patient and was moving my shoulder after each reconstruct before I was supposed to, so I may not be the best one to figure out how far is too far to push :P lol. Thanks!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
Hi again,

It takes time to get the quads going once again as pre op they are hard and solid and post op soft like jelly or a trifle is the best way I can describe it after my knee surgery in 2009.

Icing does help a lot to reduce the swelling, bruising nowadays is minimal after surgery that all depends what type of knee surgery has been done. Simple leg raises was what I was told to do at home post op. It is best to check 1st with the OS or PT before he starts doing them!

Quad shrinkage is what I had problems with, my right quad is now smaller then my left. It takes time and a certain physio schedule to get them larger in size again, firming them up again also takes time. Your son had surgery recently, it is going to take time until they are firmed up again.

[email protected]

Offline Steve 78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Hi i had a MPFL Recon done with my own hamstring in oct 2012 and i can remember painwise for the first week was quite intense every slight movement was painful just tried to keep on top of meds an ice but after week 3 it got less painful rehab was good but painful but i got it into my head that if i didt start bending it it would be the dreaded MUA  WISH I HAD IT DONE YEARS AGO as now im going about like if nothing has been done and being a builder it helps lol so having youth on his side he will be fine and dandy
and WORTH IT hope he has a good rehab

Good luck Stephen McGrath

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:36 AM »
Well we are now 18 days post op and are stir crazy! He is back to school but not weight bearing until March 4. Seems like a life time! In the last 11 days since therapy started, he has gone from 34 of flexion to 83 as of yesterday. This is the first MPFLr case our therapist has had so he's not real sure how on schedule that is. Still a good bit of swelling which goes up and down but hasn't completely dissapated yet. I am glad that he is able to lift his own leg now so the quad is waking up and getting stronger. Does this sound about normal this soon after the surgery?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
I would have to go back and look at my Rom progress but at about 2-3weeks he sounds on schedule at 83. Mpfl and rom are tricky. I remember my doctor and pt were eager to see it regained but not to fast. Sounds like he is do I g great. It is a long process but he seems motivated.  Which is great, hope it keeps going well.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
Hi There,

It is looking like positive recovery, your son is doing really well at the early stages after a fairly big knee surgery. I am sure he will do whatever he has been told to do as he is eager to get physically active again. It is hard to accept being left out, that I have had to experience a few times with my ongoing knee problems.

My suggestion would be to take your son to your local swimming pool; this it a great way to build back his stamina and also building up his quads stronger again with minimum impact on his operated knee.

Best to check 1st with his OS and Physio, I am fairly certain it is ok to go swimming or a hydro is another option to consider.

Good luck, nice to be kept updated.

[email protected]

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
Hi there..  I also just had a MPFL reconstruction (Jan 31) and from the sound of it, your son is on track. ROM is literally a pain to get back. I'm about 3.5 weeks post op and am between 90-100 depending on the day. It's great his quad is firing. Sometimes that can take a while. Right now I'm working on reducing the lag (aka knee bend) I have when doing a leg raise.

Don't worry about the swelling - I'd reckon it will take months before his knee is back to normal. Mine is still pretty swollen, and judging from my other knee surgeries, I'd guess it will be through the spring and summer. Right now over night/mornings are the worst for me. My knee stiffens up, making it tough to sleep. When I wake up, my ROM is significantly less than where it was the day before until I start stretching it out again. Then again, I'm 20 years older than your son, so hopefully that's not quite the issue for him. Good luck!
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

Offline baseballmom25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
Today we were at 96 and 90 standing. He is stiff im the morning and is just whooped by bedtime. The swelling is goimg down, naturally it is the worst after school. I'm hoping  the doc lets him start weight bearing next week and get back to this walking thing. Fingers crossed!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Your son recovering is going well after his surgery with his flexion improving every week. He should recover ok, he will then be able to get back to playing baseball again in the summer.

It is normal after any knee surgery when you have been on the go all day that it going to retaliate slightly. One has to remember the knee has been through a big shock and trauma, it will take some time to settle down again.

Scar tissue can be an issue to contend with that can be sorted out and broken down by a good PT. When he starts weight bearing again there going to be some pain and discomfort to start of with. It will soon ease; he can then start building up the quads again, ready for competing in physical activities.

[email protected]

support