Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 918 times)

Offline DezireeA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need Advice
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
Hello,

I am a 22 year old female. I have been having knee pain on my left knee on the  outer side below my knee cap. I had been moving boxes and then went home to get ready for work and when I bent my knee up I heard a loud pop and had instant pain. I have been using crutches on and off for when the pain gets worse. X-ray was normal. Orthopedic thought it was meniscus but MRI came back normal. Did therapy for 3 weeks with no improvement. I can walk on my knee but my pain is worse if I try to walk up stairs, kneel, do squats or bend the knee. Every time I bend my knee there is also a popping or clicking. My ortho said the only other thing he can do is cortisone which I had today. Not sure where to go from this point. Help please!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
MRI quite often misses meniscus tears or whoever is reading the images misses it.  Can you ask for a second opinion on the MRI? A pop with twisting is a mechanism for meniscus injury as well as ligaments, tendons etc

However, knee injuries can take weeks if not months to get better, I would avoid doing anything that causes pain, squads, stairs etc are hard on knees, so best avoid if you can, as well as running and gym work that places a lot of pressure on the knees.  Talk to your physiotherapist about a support or exercises to help yen knee.  3 weeks may not be sufficient.  I tried to rehab my knee for 5 months with a meniscus tear, unfortunately to No avail but physio isn't typically a quick fix. I am rather older than you however, age is on your side

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
I would ask the OS if he can try a cortisone shot.  If there is no physical defect in the knee then the cortisone shot would provide pain relief for an extended period.  If there is a physical defect (ie. meniscus tear) the shot will have no long term effect.  There would also be some swelling in the knee if you do have a tear. 

I had an MRI that did not show a tear and went through the above process and the OS determined there was likely a tear even though the MRI did not clearly show it.  This was because of the return of pain and swelling.

Offline DezireeA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Thank you both for your suggestions. I did get a cortisone shot Monday and still have pain. I think I will get a second opinion.   This has been going on for over a month now.

support