Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain in calf after ACL Meniscus Surgery  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Ddempsey92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain in calf after ACL Meniscus Surgery
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
Hi,

I had my ACL meniscus surgery 7 days ago, I went to my first session of physio today, I've recently been getting excruciating pains in my calf whenever I stand up using crutches, it's like all the blood is rushing to my leg and the nerves feel damaged etc. The only time the pain is relieved is when I lie with it flat. I am really worried about DVT etc.

Can someone help me out

Thanks

David

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: Pain in calf after ACL Meniscus Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Hi David

From what I understand the calf pain is very normal following a big knee op. I had it myself and like you was terrified about DVT. It is caused by the synovial fluid produced in the knee after the op (as a result of the trauma caused by surgery) draining away down the leg. I had horrible calf pain for at least 10 days after surgery (same surgery you had), then it suddenly seemed to ease off and it was ok after that. I found that constantly doing the ankle pumps prescribed by the physio to reactivate my quad muscles also helped to stretch out my calf a bit which seemed to help slightly, but i think it is just a matter of time.

All the best with the rest of your recovery,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline Ddempsey92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
Thanks Ross

Hopefully the swelling and pain will go down in my calf over the next few days then, I've been icing it alot etc.

Thanks again

David

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
The "blood rush" into the calf is normal after knee surgery, but really horrible. I remember mine being so bad that I would actually put off getting up to avoid triggering it. It will start to ease off in a few more days, but you can help it (a bit) by doing the ankle pumps that Ross mentions religiously, and really taking your time when you do need to go from horizontal to upright. Anything you can do to reduce overall swelling is helpful, too (icing, keeping your leg elevated with your foot above your heart, lymphatic drainage, etc).

If it gets worse or doesn't start to ease a few days from now, it would be worth getting it checked out just to be sure there's no DVT - but right now, your description of it sounds like the normal post-surgical blood rush. Very unpleasant, but expected.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Ddempsey92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Thanks Snowy

I really have been putting off getting up and doing things as the pain is horrible. I asked the physio today who said it is normal. The calf is unbelievably tight and feels like it's on fire. I've been doing the ankle pumps and then sitting on the end of my bed for a few minutes before getting up, this seems to be helping a little bit.

Thanks for the response.

David

support