Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op ACL accident  (Read 645 times)

Offline alex93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post op ACL accident
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
I had my ACL reconstructed on the 27th of august and was recovering well, I was on a driving lesson on the 17th of october when someone crashed into me and the impact caused my knee to hit the steering wheel, I felt a small amount of pain and minor bruising and swelling, I also lost a small degree of ROM. I also had a tight muscle at the back of the knee on the inside of the leg. When I regained my range of motion back I also got a clicking sound which I could feel inside the knee just before full extension. I've spoken to my physiotherapist and she said that everything seems normal, I realise this was a few months back but the clicking still occurs and I still worry that something doesn't feel right. Should I be worried?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: post op ACL accident
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Typically in order to damage the new ACL you would need to twist the knee, rather than strike it directly. You would have had to be very unlucky to damage your graft in this incident, and it's definitely a good sign that your PT thinks everything seems okay.

However, given that you're still having symptoms that you didn't have before the accident, it could well be that you did some other minor damage to the knee.  I would probably have it checked out by the surgeon who did your ACL recon just to be on the safe side. S/he will be familiar with your knee, and should be able to identify if there's something else wrong.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA