Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advice sought  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Whatnow2day

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice sought
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Hi All,
I would like to gather some expert opinions on my son’s knee condition.
He is 14 years old and keen football (Soccer) player, recently he has been suffering with Osgood’s schlatter disease.  Which after about 5 mouths of reduced footballing activity seems to have passed for now,  and at present he has no Osgood’s pain below the knee in either leg.
What he does have however, is pain in the left knee brought on when there is a rapid change in acceleration or de-acceleration. He also struggles to extend the leg into a straight horizontal position when sitting.
The pain is situated at the bottom of the knee cap.
What I’m trying to understand is:
1: What might the problem be?
2: How can we improve /cure the issue?
I should also mention that he was born with very flat feet for which he wears off the shelf corrective insoles, however he had no knee issue prior to the Osgoods.
I appreciate this is nowhere near enough information to provide any real help, so if there are question you need to ask or any further information I need to provide please just ask and  I will post ASAP.
TIA
Martin

Offline Asbmommy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:09:12 AM »
My daughter was diagnosed with the same thing well thank goodness I am in the medical field and one of my best friends is an orthopedic surgeon and I asked him to look at my daughter. She had an MRI and was diagnosed with discoid meniscus and a bucket handle tear and osteochronditis diseccan. If you feel there is more to it then what the drs are telling you I would seek a second opinion and possibly order an MRI especially with him so active in sports. Good luck to you and him.

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice sought
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
I am a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.
Osgood Schlatters is pain to the top front of the tibia, just below the knee. It's usually due to the stretching from physical activity combined with rapid growth spurts in adolescents. If this is not where the pain is, maybe an MRI would be useful to look for meniscal issues. You will need this answer to know where to go from there.
I hope it's nothing that physical therapy cannot help with!!
Good luck!
Catherine H.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner