Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus Tear and Hip/Ankle Pain?  (Read 543 times)

Offline twill1989

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Tear and Hip/Ankle Pain?
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »
Hey everyone,

About a year ago, I twisted my knee inwardly while standing up. There was a lot of pain along the inside of the knee and I was walking with a noticeable limp. I couldn't crouch or squat without significant pain. The ER diagnosed a MCL sprain and possible meniscus damage and referred me to a orthopedic. The orthopedic confirmed the MCL sprain as a Grade 2, and he said it was possible the meniscus was damaged but the pain was probably being caused more by the sprain more than anything else. I was on light duty and a brace for a month. Slowly, it started to feel better.

During my follow up appointment, I was still having pain along the medial side of the knee. The doc wanted to do a MRI to look for damage to the meniscus but my insurance wouldn't cover it, so he just extended my light duty and prescribed physical therapy.

The pain never went away fully. A year later and there's almost a constant dull ache, tightness and soreness within the knee and around the back of the knee. Some days are better than others. Some days it doesn't hurt at all. But then, out of no where while I'm walking, I'll get a jolt of sharp pain along the medial side of the knee where the original injury happened, enough to where I'll have to sit down for a minute. Squatting for an extended period causes some pain along the medial side also. Recently, just driving and having my knee bent constantly cause pain in that area also. A couple weeks ago I had to pull off the road for a minute. Bracing helps a lot but its not very practical to be in a brace constantly.

The past couple months I've been having tightness and soreness in my hip and ankle, both on the same side as the problem knee. The morning when I first get out of bed is worst but there's a constant soreness in both throughout the day now. Has anyone had anything similar? Could it be connected to the knee problems?

I have another appointment with the orthopedic in a couple weeks. I've got a better insurance company since the start of the year and am hopeful to finally get it resolved. I have a job that require walking 90 percent of the day, so by the end of the day, I am very sore.