Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Will they help again?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Will they help again?
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:38:35 AM »
Heya been on and off here for years but I just thought i ask opinion on my recent development and see if anyone else has had something similar.....ok 4 arthroscopies and one open surgery on left knee lateral side since 2005  for a cyst and cartilage problems....last one was aug 2012.  The prognosis last time was that they did not want to do any more keyhole surgery due to scar tissue build up and degradation of the joint was worsening.  They told me they didnt want to see me again for as long as possible( (at least 3-5 years) because the next stage is a partial knee replacement.  Well i was doing fine walking about with limited pain just generally being cautious....til i tripped over a crash mat in the dark and ever since have been in agony with medial side of knee.  I'm pretty sure from the type of pain and previous experience i've torn my medial meniscus.... has anyone else damaged the medial after the lateral and im wondering if they will even consider treating me? - thanks Caggie
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 19/08/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 07/10/05
L/K Open lateral cyst excision 11/11/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy  in 2007
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 03/08/12
L/K lateral Meniscectomy/Chondroplasty 25/04/16

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Will they help again?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »
I can't see why they wouldn't treat you if you have a new injury that may or may not require fixing?  Similarly if the arthritis has worsened and a PKR is needed, then you should be able to have that discussion. Although from what you say, this doesn't sound like the case if function and pain are stable

Make sure that the surgeon is highly experienced in lateral unicompartmental replacements as they are less common and trickier than medial replacements.  How old are you?  Typically, due to the expected lifespan of replacements, surgeons are unwilling to do these in patients under 50, but they are done in younger patients if indicated.  They can be revised to total replacements in the future if needed

I assume you are in the UK being treated on the NHS, in which case if discharged you will need to be seen again.  Ask to be referred back to the same surgeon / hospital as previously as they know your history and knee

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up