Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain 8 months after osteotomy and MPFL revision reconstruction  (Read 1300 times)

Offline kneetrouble03

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Had my left knee osteotomy and MPFL revision reconstruction in April 2013.

Things went really well with my recovery and had full range of motion back within a couple of months.

Just over the past week or so though I am in terrible pain. It goes from the joint on the right side of the left knee (hope that makes sense!) to the reconstructed ligament.

I saw the physio today and had laser treatment and electric treatment on it. I am due to have the screws from my shin and one behind my kneecap removed in the next few weeks.

For those who have experienced ligament pain - is heat or ice better for pain management?

Thanking you kindly,apologies for long post!

KneeTrouble x x

Offline Chris-tea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Knee pain 8 months after osteotomy and MPFL revision reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »
Hi kneetrouble03,

I had a TTT and MPFL graft when I was 14 (2008) my knee would constantly dislocate. It took me a long time to heel, I spent about 2 months on crutches and about 1 month in a splint. I had to do physio 3 x a day and saw my physio a couple times a week.

in 2011 I was still having trouble and it got worse and worse to the point when I could not work. I went to a different doctor, and he said he will have to re-do the TTT as my knee was still out of line. In my second surgery he found my MPFL graft had been done too tight and was causing internal bleeding. He fixed it up and did a clean up. I was on crutches for about two days. I then did a year of physio and in between did hydrotherapy for a couple months.

Maybe see if you can get an MRI to check if you have any internal bleeding etc.

Make sure you persist with physio and hydrotherapy really helped, make sure you get a good physio you like.

I am now just this week having pain in my knee again because I have started doing swimming 3 x a week.   

Good luck with your knee, keep doing your physio and build it up
2008 TTT and MPFL right knee (14 years old)
2011 MPFL graft fixed and Arthroscopic

Offline DawnettC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
Hi kneetrouble03,

I have always been told to use ice because heat may make the swelling worse.
Dawnett J. Cotton

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
I was told:

Heat is for pain and ice is for swelling.

I always use ice for swelling.

Good luck

support