Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI-Arthrogram Please help me understand the results  (Read 5364 times)

Offline nwmsu42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI-Arthrogram Please help me understand the results
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
I was wondering if somebody could help me interpret my MRI-A results?  My background...I'm a 33 year old active male, I had Denovo surgery on my right knee two years ago.  I still had pain a year later so I had a zimmer bone plug put in to fill the defect.  Now one year later, still having issues/pain in my knee, had an MRI done 3 months ago and the defect was 8mm x 9mm, had another MRI-A done last Friday...results below are from latest MRI.  Thanks for your time!

Findings:

Interval displacement of previously identified osteochondral defect of the medial femoral condyle identified.  Currently, a deep cartilage defect measures approximately 12 mm transverse x 13 mm AP.  Adjacent undermining of the cartilage may extend further anteriorly, not included in the measurements.  Further posteriorly, more subtle irregularity of contour of the cartilage and cortex of the medial femoral condyle identified, such as on coronal T1 series 5 image 7, suggesting that the overall anteroposterior extent of cartilage abnormality is nearly 30 mm.  The underlying area of bone marrow edema is approximately 11 mm diameter.

Impression:

Displaced osteochondral defect of the weight bearing portion of the medial femoral condyle.  The overall AP extent of scalloped & irregular and undermined cartilage in this region is nearly 3 cm.
Sept. 2011-Denovo NT Right Knee
Nov. 2012-Zimmer plug Right Knee
May 2014-Upcoming medial PKR Right Knee

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MRI-Arthrogram Please help me understand the results
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
I am certainly no expert but do have a troublesome osteochondral defect myself and recently had an MRI

It sounds like the cartilage has deteriorated and the defect is now bigger, with bone bruising.  Have you had a further trauma to the knee or been undertaking impact sports like running?

When do you see the surgeon to discuss and get a treatment plan as that is imperative of course

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline nwmsu42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »
I am certainly no expert but do have a troublesome osteochondral defect myself and recently had an MRI

It sounds like the cartilage has deteriorated and the defect is now bigger, with bone bruising.  Have you had a further trauma to the knee or been undertaking impact sports like running?

When do you see the surgeon to discuss and get a treatment plan as that is imperative of course

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply Vickster!  I never had trauma to begin with, bad genetics and degenerative arthritis.  When I had the MRI 3 months ago, my surgeon gave me an off-loading brace to see if that would help.  The only activity I'm allowed to do is use my elliptical (which the doctor told me would be ok) and that's all I've done.  I see my doctor January 16th, I don't have much patience, so I was trying to get some help from you guys :)  Is it safe for me to assume that I'll probably need surgery again?  If so, I'd much rather have a knee replacement.  Having three surgeries on the same knee if three years is getting old and expensive...especially with the extreme limitations that the doctors have me under (basically no activity except running on my elliptical).  It's hard not to be active, especially with a 1 year old daughter!

Offline nwmsu42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
Thought I'd give an update...I visited with the surgeon and he thought my best course of action was to get a partial knee replacement (in the medial compartment).  We've tried Denovo and a zimmer plug, with both failing and my defect larger now than it ever has been.  I'm excited to have my surgery in late May and finally live pain free :) 

support