Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Excess knee swelling following arthroscopy  (Read 667 times)

Offline Jandrews

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Excess knee swelling following arthroscopy
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »
I have undergone a tpf repair back on 9/7/2014. The injury required a bone graft. Repair was going well resumed at the gym, was lifting leg weights but then hit a hurdle around November for no apparent reason lost all knee strength and had a MRI that has confirmed the tpf is fully healed but a severe tear in the medial cartlige.

I have had an arthroscopy to remove 50% of my medial cartlige on the same knee this took place 3/12/14.

Since the surgery my knee has been severely swollen and despite a course of anti-inflammatory the swelling is still severe. I may need aspiration.

Is it usual to have swelling for such a long time. Will the swelling disappear on it own. Is the swelling related to the operation or is there potential for another injury.

I'd appreciate any help, as I'm quite frustrated.

Cheers Jamie

Offline Hiker girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Excess knee swelling following arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
Hi Jamie,

To answer your question re: swelling.  Yes it can continue to swell.  I continue to swell and surgery was May of 2012.  I noticed you are taking anti-inflammitories.  I was taken off as they were causing swelling.  My dr. put me on a half of a water pill 2 x per week for a month.  Amazingly, the swelling decreased considerably. 

Be aware of what we put in our bodies :)
Rt. knee pain while hiking 08/10
Saw GP 04/11
PT 05/11  failed
MRI  clean 06/11
1st OS, nothing wrong, fired him.
2nd OS, cortisone shot 12/11 
Scope 05/12, fat pad impingement, cleaned and reshaped.
3rd and 4th OS think nerve problem
Nerve study June 2012, Femoral nerve damage

support