Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ITB release  (Read 755 times)

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
ITB release
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:44:24 AM »
About 3 or 4 months after my very successful TTT, I started having severe lateral pain in my other knee.  After multiple MRIs, injections, and many many months of PT, I had an IT band release done.  The tightness and associated pain has been replaced with a sharp burning pain when my knee is in any position other than bent about 30 degrees.  I haven't had much luck finding a lot of information on the internet about this and since I received so much wonderful advice after my last surgery, I figured I would try here.  Has anyone had this done or know anything about it?  Just curious what your experience was like.  Thank you!
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: ITB release
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
Hi There,

I see that you have also had plica surgery in 2011 and have also had my medial plica removed in 2009 and fat pad trimmed. I am now back to square one and also been told by my OS that I have a very tight ITB. My OS came up with a new method of treatment who does regular training in the USA to find new methods of treatments.

In September 2013 had a Botox injection into tensor fascia lata that's the muscle located at the top of the leg near to the thigh that is meant to instantly release the tension in the ITB as long as you keep on top of your PT after the injection. I did stretching exercises to release the tensed up muscles that are tight and knotted.

Unfortunately the treatment did not work for me and now I am waiting to see my OS again and will  have an MRI scan done on my right knee. I fell on black ice a year ago and since then cannot run and getting pain and swelling at the bottom of my right knee. 

Thats all I can share with you, hope you can get it sorted out soon.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: ITB release
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
Thanks for responding.   The plica removal was actually in the other knee than the ITB release.  Pain is much better today, ice is my friend.  I hope you can get some relief soon, I have been pretty miserable for the last year.  I had a total of 3 cortisone injections, 2 were done under ultrasound to get directly under the It band insertion.  Really hoping I am done with knee surgeries and can get back to running soon.
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

support