Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain !  (Read 1387 times)

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
Knee pain !
« on: January 30, 2004, 08:08:44 PM »
Hi all,

I had my partial meniscectomy Dec 2. 2003. It went very well, basically a pain free recovery. I have been back to work for about a month now and this past week my knee has hurt more often than not. I am wondering if the popping I have been having in my knee has anything to do with it. My knee even pops doing the straight leg raises( I have continued doing the home exercises and a few of the exercises they had me do at physical therapy that I can do without the machines), when I lower my leg and set my heel back on the floor it pops.Another example ... i can stand and just bend and straighten my knee and it pops almost every time. For the most part the popping doesn't hurt.
I work in a restaurant and I am on my feet anywhere from 9 to 13 hours a day. My OS told me to wear my brace for work which I have on occassion done, I have a donjoy defiance ( I don't wear it that often because it cause my lower leg to itch and blister in the area wear the frame sits.) I have an off the shelf hinged knee brace that I wear instead. My knee pain seems to radiate up to my hip( i hurt my hip at therapy doing platform heel raises?Standing on a platform on injured leg and lowering good leg down to touch heel on floor. My hip is a lot better hardly bothers me now and I do these raises at home) and down to my foot. I have been taking 4 ibuprofen at a time 3 or four times a day. Which does seem to knock the pain out for a while. It is really bothering me at night when I go to bed. I have also noticed that on the medial side of my knee just at the bend putting pressure causes a burning kinda pain (not sure if that makes any sense). I am having my acl reconstructed on Feb 3.
I'm am a little depressed about the pain problem I have been having this past week, because up until now I hadn't really had any problems. I don't want this problem to be a problem with my rehab from the acl reconstruction. That's why I have continued to do my home exercises etc.. so this rehab hopefully will be a little easier.  i am just bummed out about it !
Thank for listening.. well reading.. :)

Dawn

left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
Re: Knee pain !
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 12:14:16 AM »
Dawn:
First of all, congratulations on a successful meniscectomy! So, here are my thoughts on your knee pain...
First of all, you won't be happy to hear this, but I do think you should be wearing your proper leg brace when you work.  9-13 hrs on your feet every day is a lot for an off the shelf brace to accomodate, and the donjoy brace is a really good one.  I'm a Registered Dental Assistant and am also on my feet up to 12 hrs a day, and I wear a Townsend Premier Reliever custom-made brace every day.  It's large, it's uncomfortable, it makes me sweat during the warm months, it itches - and it's helped me avoid having a Fulkerson's Osteotomy and ultimately a TKR for 4 yrs following getting run over by a car!  There are special socks you can wear that could help relieve the itching and blistering, or see a dermatologist, but really...WEAR THE BRACE!
As for the popping, the one thing that struck me was the popping when you do straight leg lifts (especially because you mentioned you also had a hip injury).  Listen carefully next time you do these because it may actually be your HIP that's popping.  I know that sounds weird, but that's what happened to me when I was doing rehab for my knee.  Worth checking out anyway.
As for pain management...you've got to stop taking ibuprofen like they're M&M's - 4 at a time several times a day is not good for your liver!  I'm not a proponent of narcotics by any means, and no one can live on them for any extended period of time, but if your pain is bad enough for you to be popping ibuprofen at that rate you need to speak to your OS about pain management.
I know you feel depressed, bummed out, whatever...and you're looking at yet another surgery.  But hang in there, kiddo...it can only get better.  We KNEEgeeks gotta believe that, right?
Best of luck
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 08:57:07 AM »
Hey Holly,

Thanks ! I had the same thought about my hip maybe being what was actually popping, but after a couple of days of leg raises it's definitely my knee. When I do the exercise with the bolster under my knee, my knee pops when I raise my leg AND when I lower my leg. It's being doing it since my surgery. My OS and PT both said at first that it was just the swelling and something in my knee not in the correct position. I've noticed that even with my donjoy brace on my knee still pops. My PT thought it may be my knee not tracking correctly. My knee also cracks very loudly when I am walking and I take a full stride, it is very annoying !!! It is a kinda of embarassing ya know ? I know that I shouldn't be taking the ibuprofen like I have been doing, and i try to take as little as possible and some days have been better than others. I do have a high tolerance for pain, which in my case is probably a good thing because I have a low tolerance for prescription pain meds. After my last surgery both the medications they prescribed made me sick.
Another question....... why is it that your knee hurts worse at night when you go to bed ?
I do know that it'll get better :) I feel like a little whiney (sp?) baby, when there are those on here who are having much worse problems !! I couldn't even imagine going through what they have to go through every day.

Thanks,
Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 05:02:07 PM »
OK--two points. First, you are not in a "pain free" recovery, if you cannot work without taking all of that "vitamin I!"

Second, you need to discuss the following with your OS: "on the medial side of my knee just at the bend putting pressure causes a burning kinda pain (not sure if that makes any sense)." Couldn't that be the meniscus acting up?

I wonder if you returned to work too early!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 11:16:37 PM »
Dawn:
Hey kid...listen, first of all: you're not a "little whiney baby just because you're expressing some problems with pain or recovery! Yikes woman...we're only human, and this is not a game of "can you top this" when it comes to who is suffering more!  Your pain is no less real, just because there are those who are suffering more!
Anyway, it's really a bear when you can't tolerate the prescription pain meds because for the short term they can be a great solution.  Have you talked to your OS about different types of pain meds besides the usual (trying something like Ultram or Tramadol, rather than the usual Percocet or Vicodin.  These are different, non-codeine types of pain relievers).  It's worth a shot to suggest to him/her.
As far as the "burning" on the medial side of your knee, I agree with Liz that it may be a meniscus problem, and should be discussed with your OS probably prior to your reconstruction surgery.  Perhaps if you bring it to their attention they can look for the problem while they're in there doing your acl work.
Keep your spirits up and know that we are thinking of you and wishing you the very best on Feb. 3.  Post us as soon as you feel up to it!
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

support