Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 3082 times)

Offline FormerAthlete11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
I need advice
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
Greetings everyone, I'm so grateful to have found this forum. This is my story, I tore my ACL, Meniscus and PCL playing basketball in 2011. I had successful surgery and re-injured my knee in October of 2012. This is how I reinjured my knee, I jumped up to get a rebound but my teammate also tried to get the rebound as well. We both pulled the ball down at the same time and the impact made my knee give out. Ever since then, I've had swelling right above my kneecap. My knee doesn't hurt, but I can't run and staircases give me trouble. Every time I try to run it's like I can't complete the full motion, it's hard to explain it's like my knee gives out mid-stride. My guess is that I tore my Quad Tendon. I never got an MRI because I don't have insurance. And I'm not sure if I can afford another surgery (Financially, Mentally, and Physically). I have tried going to Christian Healing Rooms, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Essential Oils, Prolotherapy and Spiritual Healing. Nothing has been able to get rid of that swelling above my kneecap (Although each of these methods have helped me in some way or another), which is probably indicative of a tear. My question is where do I go from here? I don't know if surgery is the answer, but at the same time I miss basketball so much. I miss being able to run and jump. And I miss just being able to walk up and down steps without my knee feeling unstable. Please give me your thoughts.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »
Hi FormerAthlete11

Having read your post, a ruptured Quadricep tendon is no joke, indeed you have sustained a very serious injury, which will not go away and requires immediate professional attention by a qualified Orthopaedic surgeon.  Rehab is a very long process and your various suggestion of Chinese healing rooms is an absolute waste of time and expense.

Firstly suggest that you repost on "" Ruptured Quadricep/Ruptured Patella Tendon Surgery. There you will find buddies in a similar situation and you will be able to read many previous posts on this subject.

Likewise, suggest that you click on the undermentioned thread - this contains a set of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - contains lots of useful information of your injury and the rehab procedure.  PATIENCE is required and don`t wait any longer without getting proper help.  FORGET sports for the time being.

Where do you live?

Take care and keep posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
FA11. You don't give your age, but if you are playing basketball you must be relatively young. You are balking at the potential expense but if you have a RQT this will not go away on its own! You have your whole life ahead of you and there is absolutely nothing better for you to invest in than your health! Whatever it takes get yourself to an OS as John says, preferably one who specializes in Sports injuries, and follow up with a Physiotheraist who has the same bent. The longer you procrastinate the longer and harder the rehab.
  Good luck, but The Lord helps those who help themselves!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
FA11, like others have said, you need assistance and soon, if you have a full rupture it just will not repair without surgery, and the longer its left the harder it will be to repair, imagine a bare ended piece of tendon with nothing to do retracting slowly up your thigh and atrophying (is that a word?) it needs to be attached back onto your kneecap before its stretchiness disappears.

A simple test for RQT is to lie down and try to do a straight leg raise, if its ruptured you wont be able to.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
Formerathlete, welcome to our exclusive club.  We welcome you reluctantly because a RPT requires a great amount of patience and understanding...patience to allow yourself to slowly heal (because you will heal) and understanding that this is a very serious condition that requires 1) a correct diagnosis 2) corrective surgery and 3) PT to rebuild muscle and brain reconnect to what is lost in the process.  So if you are indeed a member of this exclusive club welcome.... and stay connected with this website for further insight and help during the process of reclaiming your mobility.  Bob

Offline FormerAthlete11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »
Bump. Unfortunately, I still have not been able to get my knee checked out. The fact that I lack insurance is killing me, every where I call tells me they're going to charge me a crazy amount for an MRI. I know I have to get my knee looked at somehow, I just don't know how. But judging from my symptoms I really don't think this is a complete tear. I still am not in any pain, just occasional stiffness. However, I have a small indent on the side of my knee. However, I can do straight leg raises easily so I'm pretty sure it can't be a complete tear. 

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »
Have you considered an ultrasound scan?  That's got to be a lot cheaper than MRI.

I had a complete rupture of my patellar tendon.  I had a high riding kneecap and I couldn't lift my lower leg at all so the doctor suspected a ruptured tendon.  An ultrasound scan was used to confirm the diagnosis and I was booked in for surgery.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline melynnm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
  • RQT 1/6/14
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
Report to your nearest ER ASAP!!  I can tell you that most, if not all hospitals have a program to assist uninsured patients with options.  But more importantly is getting a diagnoses.  If you do have a ruptured quad tendon, surgery is your only  option to getting back on your feet.  The longer you wait for treatment, the shorter the tendon becomes, making a repair more & more difficult.  Good luck.

support