Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Soccer injury- MCL, LCL, ACL, Patellar Avulsion fracture  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Soccer injury- MCL, LCL, ACL, Patellar Avulsion fracture
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:55 AM »
waiting sucks and I have to wait until Tuesday to see my orthopedic surgeon. I'm 28, active, and was injured Saturday in a soccer match. Tests so far indicate partial or complete tears of MCL, LCL and ACL, although the initial pressure test for acl the Dr said it felt intact. I also have an avulsion fracture on patella, medial side (could be related to an mcl rupture.)

I guess I'm just looking for similar cases and what to expect. is it possible worst case to recover from tears to those 3 ligaments and play sports again? I've never had any serious injuries before so definitely have some anxiety, the injury itself was kinda traumatizing to be honest. A blow to outside of my knee caused it to bend inward. I can put a slight amount of weight on it while it's braced straight and can hold it straight umbraced when laying down but that's about it. definitely a rough couple days, live on 2nd floor on top of it all,. thanks for any feedback.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:26:54 PM by Matthew24 »

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Soccer injury- MCL, LCL, ACL, Patellar Avulsion fracture
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »
Hey Mathew,
I tore my acl,pcl,mcl two years ago playing football(soccer) :o and found that it was more uncomfortable then painful at first. I guess my experience has been good  and bad, the good news is that the surgery is pain free as you will most probably be asleep and well out of it also the pain after is manageable if you have a medium pain threshold.
I don't mean to sound negative but I am two years through and still having problems, my pcl is still not sorted and I think I have very minor MCL laxity. This is after one operation to fix acl,pcl,mcl and then another operation to fix the pcl and mcl again. I followed everything I was told to the tee and still feel as though I will be very fortunate to return to football, that being said it may just be down to my surgeon and/or physio team and brace used as I have read other storys similar to mine that have ended in some form of Athletical success.

My only advice is not to under-estimate the severity of your injury and try and stay positive or it will beat you down because it takes along time to recover and a fair bit of tolerance, also if you have  any doubts with your consultant, physio or anything else don't hesitate to mention it to the person In question.

I hope I haven't disheartened you too much, this deffenitly wasn't my intention and as I said before there is people about who have returned from similar, good luck and I hope it goes well
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
ACL,PCL,MCL Reconstruction.....Sept 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.
PCL,MCL reconstruction..... Sept 2013.
Currently doing home workouts and have pcl laxity.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
Hey thanks so much for the reply . sorry to hear that you are still having issues. i agree with you on the uncomfortable part. i have a pretty high tolerance for pain but getting around with a straight braced leg and crutches is a big pain. im pretty excited to see my orthopedic tomorrow for the first time and hopefully get some good information and an mri. so far ive only had xray and CT which revealed the fractured patella but the CT scan report also mentioned indications of  ACL, LCL and MCL tears. hard to think about not playing sports again but i guess thats how it goes. ive been huge into soccer my whole life, playing 3-4 times a week recently in 6v6 small goal and 11v11 leagues. im disapointed but trying to look at this as a new challenge . might be time to switch to coaching some youth teams lol .

will post again if i get any new information tomorrow .

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »
Hopefully you will receive some good news, either way just keep going at it and you will soon be something like.
Reading how your did it is pretty similar to my incident, I had my right foot planted and was taking a shot with my left when the keeper come in from the side and buckled my knee the opposite way. Right away I knew it was bad as i dont stay down often after a tackle. I was 23 at the time very active and played 5 aside 2 times a week then had training and also 11 v 11 on a saturday.This has changed my life more then i could of possibly thought, im just hoping to return to running at least just to feel active again. I am pretty confident that i will be able to jog  at some point but have come to terms with the fact that my football days are numbered.
All the best and speedy recovery, feel free to ask anything.
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »
really appreciate reply. i was kinda in same boat, playing 6v6 once a week, indoor once a week and then 11v11 on weekends. being 28 im just a causal player but its my biggest hoppy( fiance says obsession) so not playing is drving me nuts. if i cant play again i think im gonna look into youth coaching, thats how much i love the sport.

had my appointment with ortho yesterday but didnt get much new info. luckily my immobilizer is now gone although i only flex about 40-50% and still on crutches. i see improvement each day at least but it feels like my knee will explode if i bend it to far, just so much pressure inside the joint, its a really weird feeling, not pleasant! he ordered me back in 4 weeks with hopes im walking by then and need an mri in the meantime. one odd thing was that he says he doesnt see indications of patellar fracture that he ER said i have. thats why im out of immobilizer.

He highly advised against a brace as well which i figured id be put in a hinged one but doing ok without i guess. i feel like it would be more of a peice of mind thing but if anyone has any feedback on wearing a brace this early in my injury let me know. 

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Yea its pretty lame going from a lot of football to none in such a short period of time, you will soon get use to it because all your attention will be on recovery, the hardest part is going watching your team play in my opinion.
I waited 6 months until my operation and about 2 months for my MRI. I was in a straight leg splint for a few week and then put in a brace for stability, I also had physio for 8 week before the surgery to build the muscles in my leg. Appernetly the stronger you are going into the surgery the better and faster it is when you are recovering.
You might find that when the swelling goes down  it becomes more of an uncomfortable feeling then a painful feeling, my tibia would move in all sorts of directions and any twisting movements would cause it to slip a little(the brace stopped this from happening). I think different consultants have different approaches and some don't like the idea of braces as it does work that your muscles should be doing and this causes muscle atrophy. Also you may be surprised at how fast your muscles disappear when you don't use them, my leg currently looks like a 90 year olds because I have lost about 70% of muscle but last time I was like this it took about 8 month to get the majority of it back so that's not too bad.
I am by no means a professional of any sort so take my infomtion with a pinch of salt but I do speak from experience. If there is anything you would like to know just ask and I will get back to you when I can. Hopefully the MRI will show a less serious injury.
PCL,MCL failed.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
once you were out of the immobilizer and began 8-week therapy how long did it take to get some good rang of motion back?

im mostly walking with one crutch now and a really bad limp. i can walk sometimes without the crutch but my flex feels terrible. when i try to bend my leg past maybe 60 degrees it feels like a TON of pressure inside my joint with emphasis on the upper medial part of knee.

Also, for example, right now i have by leg slightly bent with foot flat on floor. When i raise my toes in this position i get severe pressure in that smae upper medial area. feels extremely weird.

just wasnt sure how normal this is? am i supposed to push through that feeling ?( if i do it turns from pressure feeling to sharp pain) does this loosen up as time goes and i move more?

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
also when i try to put my leg as straight as i can with heel on ground i get pain on the lateral side of knee in the back , like right above my calf. all these sensations are very weird, not necessarily pain all the time but just weird pressure and slipping feelings. man this is gonna be rough if i have to push through all that. really hope it loosens up a little bit 1st.

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »
It took some time for my leg to free up,that tight feeling in your knee is pretty normal at this stage(so most people seems to say) it took me about 7 week to bend to 90,12 week to get to approximately 110 degrees and nearly all year to touch my but with my heel(when I pull my leg up, couldn't kneel down).
I got my full flexion back quicker then that,it was about 7 week but a weird sensation. Then I went through it again after my surgery(and again now) the pain on your lateral side is due to what seems to be your lcl sprain/tear. My advice would be not to force your leg to bend or straighten out and just let it works it's way slowy, I was told alot of is rest and elevation was good but the thing I found best personally was a hot bath and bending my leg in that slowly.
These where just experiences I had but you may be different as it is a slightly different injury but the solid feeling in your knee will take time to go.
Good luck and keep us informed
PCL,MCL failed.

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
thanks man. your advice on  letting my leg free up on its own vs trying to flex through pain/stiffness is what I was looking for, so just gonna give it some time. I found that I can use an elliptical without discomfort if I go slow so I think I'm gonna stick to that. hopefully that will help improve movement faster and get the blood flowing. feel like today I can get around without a crutch, did a decent amount of activity w/o crutches yesterday(cleaning, walking, laundry etc..)  and I'm not feeling any additional soreness which is awesome! was worried I'd be paying for it this morning. thanks again for your advice, if I have any other questions before I see my doc in a few weeks I'll let ya know. will also throw my mri results up when in.

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:08 AM »
That's good, you will soon get use to it an less "freaked" out by the tense feeling in your knee.
keep going and ask any question u like and hopfullt i will have some form of respone,I know what it is like to have all those questions and needing some sort of awnser.

PCL,MCL failed.