Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new to board  (Read 1481 times)

Offline shakti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
new to board
« on: January 30, 2004, 05:43:46 PM »
Hello all in Kneegeek land,

I am new to this site and just trying to get an idea of what would be the best way to proceed in regards to using the site as well as my specific problem knee.  I am currently dealing with inflamation and pain right above the knee cap - doctors in the past suspected quadricip tendinitis( although since i have no health insurance and very limited financial flexibility I have been going to a free health clinic.  What this basically means is I have seen several different doctors only for very brief periods of time. )
This is my third bout with this problem.  The first time was caused by a fall while rollarblading - immediately after this fall I experienced no pain or problems however the weekend following this fall I went hiking, it was after the hike that my knee swelled up - I dealt with the swelling for about 8 months until i was finally given a cortisone shot - that worked for about another Two years.

The second flare up was do to moving into full lotus pose while I was doing yoga - The same exact injury - this time I felt a hot rubbery sensation in my knee when I moevd into the pose. Again I limped around for at least 7 - 8 months going back and forth to the clinic until they finally agve me another shot - this time the shot was not as effective - it took quite a while after the shot for the swelling to go down completely and my knee after this second incident never was the same - i always felt some degree of acheyness although it hasn't limited me from most physical activity.

This thid incident was caused by initially having trouble with my shin muscle right before I went on a trip - not realizing that there was anything seriously wrong on my trip I did all the physical acitivity that I love - plenty of yoga and lots of walking and hiking - everything with the knee seemed ok on the trip until I got back,  two days after I returned my knee had swollen up - the doctor at the clinic gave me celebrex which seeemd to work for a few days and then stopped working about 3 days ago after being at my feet a bit at work -  I'm not sure how I will proceed from here.
Thanks for listening - if anyone has any ideas please write.
Elaine

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: new to board
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 03:37:18 AM »
I'm no expert on tendon issues, but I would consider a partial quad tendon tear, or something similar. It sounds like you really need an mri for further diagnosis.

Try to go by the motto of if it hurts, don't do it, for now. With no ins, I dont know what your options might be.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 10:46:40 PM »
Hi Elaine

I am very sorry to hear of your knee problems which it sounds like you have been suffering with for quite some time!

I understand that you don't have medical insurance and neither do I but you can call around to some Ortho clinics in your area and ask if they offer payment plans. Because you definitly need to get in with a good Ortho and stick with him so that you can get treated the way you need to wether it be surgery or whatever b/c it sounds like you have an injury to your knee that needs some attention!

Like I said I don't have medical insurance and I have a WONDERFUL doc to put it mildly that lets me pay him monthly payments even through all 5 of my knee surgeries and the one I am fixing to go through!

Call around and I am sure you can get the help you need!

Take care and know that I am here if you need any advice

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline shakti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 11:01:37 PM »
Thank you both for replying to my post and Jeanie thanks especially for your encouraging words.. Yes.. I intend on making plenty of phone calls this week to find out what options are available to me...I have also done some research on the web and came upon somehting called prototherapy - have you ever heard of it ? What exactly is wrong with your knee that you have had to have five operations?

peace,
Elaine