Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tibial tubercle osteotomy  (Read 3551 times)

Offline jattanasio87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tibial tubercle osteotomy
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:57:37 AM »
Hey all ive been reading lots of post op diaries trying to find people to identify with so I figured id write one. My name is Joey im 19 and had a MPFL (medial patellafemoral) reconstruction and a Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy. Im 9 weeks post op and have many doubts but still enough faith to keep going. I started walking without the crutches a week ago. However I suffered a nerve complication which affects the sole of my foot making it difficult to walk distances. Anyway i dont really know what else to say so maybe for people who had a similar operation can give me some feedback on their rehab process id really appreciate it. Any information helps thanks, Joey

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
Re: tibial tubercle osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:33:05 AM »
Hey there Joey! Welcome to knee lovers.com! hahaha... jk

I had the TTT (AKA; TTO, Fulkersons) in September. I remember all to well the nerve damage and issues with my foot. I would wake at night with nightmares that dogs were attacking and chewing on the bottom of my foot, waking thinking I was being bitten or stung by bugs and freeking out and making my husband tear the bed apart to find the bugs *there were no bugs. Then there were the endless number of times that I swore I had a sliver in the bottom of my foot so I would have to stop and take off my shoe and sock and inspect my foot only to find nothing there. The one time I did not check because 'I knew' it was all in my head I wound up with a big sore because there was a pebble in my shoe! Now it I didn't tell you that to freak you out, I told you that to tell you it DOES get better! Nerves grow back 1mm per day. That is NOT very fast! So be patient. Feel free to read my diary, you can find it under the post-op diaries 100-300 posts. It is titled, "The TTT, the AMZ and the disobedient patient". Rehab didn't really start until 12 weeks. Before then, there are many movements that PT needs to avoid as they want to avoid the sliver of bone that was shaved off and screwed in from coming loose! :o But, everything that they work with you on has purpose in strengthening the VMO. You might find that as you become more active your knee cap subluxes or moves around and snaps around. This is fairly normal until the muscles strengthen enough to keep it in place.

Remember, with the TTT/TTO/Fulkerson's, that it WILL take a full year before you are back to before the surgery level with that leg! This surgery is more difficult for recovery than a replacement. It can get really frustrating really fast how SLOW things go in healing... I have to look at it on a week to week basis... focusing on the progress NOT the perfection. Every week I am pleasantly surprised at how much I improved from the last week. I have yet to have a week where I do not have some sort of improvement. I know it is probably not as easy for you to be accepting of the length of time this recovery process takes, my son is your age and I can't imaging him being laid up this long. Keep your chin up, your walking without crutches which is awesome! Next year you will be dancing (or jumping or running, or climbing trees) whatever it is you guys are doing now adays!  :P
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline Chris-tea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »
Hi there,

I had a TTT and MPFL graft when I was 14 (2008) my knee would constantly dislocate. It took me a long time to heel, I spent about 2 months on crutches and about 1 month in a splint. I had to do physio 3 x a day and saw my physio a couple times a week.

in 2011 I was still having trouble and it got worse and worse to the point when I could not work. I went to a different doctor, and he said he will have to re-do the TTT as y knee was still out of line. When I went under he ended up finding the problem, my MPFL graft had been done too tight and was causing internal bleeding. He fixed it up and did a clean up. I was on crutches for about two days. I then did a year of physio and in between did hydrotherapy for a couple months.

Te trick is to make sure you persist with physio and hyrotherapy really helped, make sure you get a good physio you like. Mine was hot so it was a bonus haha.

I am now just this week having pain in my knee again because I ave started doing swimming 3 x a week.  :(

Good luck with your knee, keep doing your physio and build it up.
2008 TTT and MPFL right knee (14 years old)
2011 MPFL graft fixed and Arthroscopic

Offline jattanasio87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback susan and christie, forgive me if i got your names wrong. I have some questions for each of you if you dont mind, susan when you noticed the nerve damage in your foot, did you find that you couldnt curl your toes downward? This as well as the pain in the sole of the foot is what im dealing with. Christie, are there any scans or signs of knowing wether the mpfl graft is too tight? Maybe the both of you can help me out with this question, did you notice around the time that you started walking without crutches that the knee/high tibial area felt very stiff when bending the leg while walking? I got the vertical incision which is about 6 inches long. But where the screws are in my tubercle or whatever it kinda creates like a little bump. I went over this with my surgeon and he just told me its the screws which is normal im only askinh for extra re assurance i guess lol also just to know if you guys had similar situation but i noticed that this "bump" area where the screws are is the place im feeling stiffness when bending while ealking, so yeah did you guys deal with this as well? Thanks so much i really appreciate the feedback and oh yeah im going to get an EMG test to see whatsup with my nerves so ill update the post soon thanks again

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
Joey,

I had a TTT July 2012 and during the surgery, my OS hit my nerve. It was the worst pain ever!! Worse than natural child birth (which I did twice). I was on Neurontin for about 5-6 months and mine went away. I still have the screws in and will be getting them out in a few weeks but only because I have other complications with my knee that they need to go back in for. My other knee (another TTT) went smoothly. Screws are out and life is good. But, the graft area is still tender to this day. I cannot kneel at all. That surgery was 4 years ago. The screws that are about to come out do stick out. That is because the surgeon doesn't want to chip out bone to get to the screw head once you hit your one-year mark.
Good luck and I hope all goes smoothly and quickly for you.
Catherine H.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
Hello! I just wanted to say hang in there and it gets better! I'm about 10 weeks post-op from my 2nd TTO/Fulkerson. I had my screw in my R knee taken out the same day as my L TTO. I have less shin pain in my R knee now that the screws are out. Once you are healed enough you may want to talk to your Ortho about removing the screws.

As far as the hump/bump I think that stays... it's been about 10 mos since my R TTO and I still have a hump where the tubercle was moved. I can't even see a bump or hump on my L knee yet, it's still too swollen.

As far as the stiffness goes I have it every day still! With my R knee it was somewhere around 4-5 months that the stiffness got better. After a few days of waking up with no stiffness you realize it's gone!

This is a "major" surgery so it can take a full year for a full recovery. Hang in there and go to physical therapy/physio and listen to your Drs!

If you have any questions let me know.

jess
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:38 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the comment on my diary, sorry I am just now responding!!

I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and I have a bump at my TTT site which I was told is normal.  My OS told me we will talk about taking my screws out if they start bothering me but he likes to leave them in a year if possible to be safe.

I TOTALLY know what you are talking about with the pain when bending! I am having that daily, especially in the morning or if I've been sitting straight leg for awhile.  I talked to my PT about it Thursday and he said that is normal. He said its from the MPFL reconstruction and tightening up the ligament.  He said it is not a bad 'pain' so to speak.

Definitely make sure you do your exercises at home that your PT gives you and practicing bend EVERYDAY!!
3/03- R knee dislocated
rest of 03 knee kept dislocating
1/30/04- R knee lateral release
11/05- L knee dislocated
2013- both knees pain increasing but R worse
12/11/13- R knee MPFL reconstruction, TTT and  lateral release

Offline jattanasio87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
Hey everyone sorry I haven't been on this for a while. Thank you all for your words. It's been nearly a year since my operation ( MPFL reconstruct/TTOsteotomy). Just wanted to let everyone know I feel a lot better. Although I still have lots of work to do in terms of therapy (since I have been kinda slacking) I've been avoiding soccer or high risk atheletic situations of re injuring myself. I'm not a defeatist I do fully intend on becoming more athletic than ive ever been I just don't feel comfortable risking my Knees health again with soccer. Who knows I may get back into it. Anyway I also have been very busy with college and all, its rough getting back into it after taking a year off(when I got my surgery).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:47:37 PM by jattanasio87 »

Offline jattanasio87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:46:29 PM »
Also I want to let you guys know that in terms of the Nerve damage from the surgery. It is still there. The pins and needles have either gone away or I've gotten so used to them I'm not conscious of it happening. I'm able to walk far distances, and during the summer, was able to Water Ski which I never thought I would be able to do at that time. But the nerve damage is still there. It's very hard to explain nerve pain but if anyone is going through some uncomfortable or scary/defeating nerve pain I'm willing to discuss it with anybody. Again thank you all for your encouragement !!!! Work hard it will pay off !!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:48:28 PM by jattanasio87 »

Offline neos2300

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 07:05:15 PM »
Hey Joey, sorry this is late, but how are you going now 7 years after the TTO? Did you ever return to soccer?

support