Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Eandjo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:57:57 AM »
I am 3-weeks from surgery to repair my ruptured patella and debating if I am thankful the Olympics are on or starting to hate it (50/50). But that's mostly due to the tough time doing nothing. Seeing the surgeon this week, hopefully to schedule PT soon. I've been locked in a brace, weight bearing as tolerable and feeling stronger in that regard.  Thanks for all the input on your journeys, I still have a long way to go...

Look forward to any info that helped others, especially with PT.

Good luck everyone.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:02:03 AM »
Welcome Eandjo and sorry you had to suffer the injury.  Yeah, be hating the fact that there is not much to do during the recovery from surgery.  I am 7 months post a double patellar tendon ruputure.  Your situation is probably similar to all of ours on the board, especially if you have been reading thru the posts.  347 pages is a lot to digest.  Oh how I remember the braces locked, weight bearing as tolerated and not being able to do much. 

My advice is as follows:  Rest and recuperate, PT will come soon enough.  Do quad sets and if you have the means, invest in a mini electronic muscle stimulator for you quads.  You are probably still in the icing and swelling stage, so Rest Ice Compress and Elevate.  Propping up the heel to get a little hyperflexion is a good thing, or the tendon might not heal and a shuffle in the walk is ahead.  Do your passive ROM and dont rush or fret the lack of ROM compared to anyone else, yours will come along.  Protect the tendon, 6-8 weeks to get a bend and 12 weeks until it fully heals, depending on your tear and surgical technique used by the OS.  Lots of good advice and stories on the other board and feel free to post there, as John 42 will advise.  So welcome

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
Eandjo. As the maverick (Nutter) in the group let me give you the dissenting opinion. Research your PT carefully, he may know more about the recuperative process than your OS. ,one is used to working with professional athletes and was quite aggressive .
  I started at 2 weeks and by week3 was on a bike, ditched the brace at week4 and by week6 was doing sme strenuous uphill hiking. (Downhill was by Gondola). This may not be for everyone but at 27 weeks I have suffered no ill effects and probably experienced less muscle atrophy than the norm.
  Choose a protocol you are comfortable with, but even my OS ,who did not want me hiking for 6 months concedes that standard protocols have not kept pace with new Surgical techniques and materials.

God Luck, keep posting - and reading and keep an open mind!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Eandjo, both welcome and sorry.  After reading all the posts for this thread I believe you are in good hands if you follow up on the recommendations (still awaiting John42).  I am a 67yo male, double RPT, now 40 weeks post.  My suggestion?  RICE, get informed, question everything and press your PT doc to the max, and patience.  You are 12 weeks to fully heal the tendon, and a year to get your strength/walking back.  Ad a dash of humor and stay in the process.... hope to hear more of your journey....  Bob

Offline Eandjo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep an open mind and research all I can.

Talk to you again soon.

Scott

support