Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "Miserable Malalignment" - Kneeguru?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline blusky_1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My Webshots Albums
"Miserable Malalignment" - Kneeguru?
« on: January 30, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »
Well, as usual, I've been doing tons of research about my latest ortho visit. I received a copy of the report from my last visit and it mentions femoral anteversion of 30 degrees. The more I researched, I started thinking, "but my foot goes to the outside, not the inside". Then I came across What they term as miserable malalignment syndrome....that seems to explain everything! My OS had told me that all my leg bones were twisted, but the report said nothing about the tibia and fibula. Honestly, there's not much info about it...several sites mention it, but don't go into a lot of detail. From what I gathered, it seems the lower leg bones overcompensate for the rotation of the femur and it seems that it can only get worse. Is this correct? I know the Protonics site mentions it as an indication for the Protonics mechanism, but can it actually help? ACK!

It turns out my brother had a problem with femoral anteversion as a baby - I always knew he had to wear braced shoes when he slept, but I never knew why (he's 2 years older, and I think I just remember seeing them laying around). My mother said he was severely pidgeon-toed, but I never had any visible problem. Could that be because the tibia and fibula were rotated the other direction?

I had never noticed that my legs looked funny until after my scope in August. I have a 6 week post-op pic on webshots that shows how my knees go together and my lower legs go off to the outside. I just never paid any attention to my legs until I started having severe knee pain.

I am having horrible problems standing for more than a few minutes at a time...crazy thing is, I worked retail up until about a year and a half ago. I was on my feet for 8-10 hours a day and never had problems. Is it possible that surgery aggrivated my problem? I was on my feet for 2 hours the other day (packing years of junk for a move in 2 weeks). By the time I finally got back into the house, I thought I was going to die from the pain! The next morning I could barely walk...then I took a couple of Mannatech Plus with 800mg of ibuprofen...30 minutes later, I was moving without pain! Whew!

Anyhoo, I was told the only "cure" would be extensive surgery, so we're trying Protonics starting on the 5th. How extensive would surgery be? Are we talking months off of work?  ???

Thanks for any insight...

Brooke
Arthroscopy 8/8/03 - partial meniscectomy (x2), chondroplasty, lateral release (failed). 1/04 - dx with "miserable alignment". 11/04 - dx patella baja.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: "Miserable Malalignment" - Kneeguru?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 02:40:20 AM »
 ;D Hey there, Brooke! ;D
I have "significant" femoral anteversion as well. I was told that if I looked up miserable malalignment on the internet I would see my legs. And I did! Funny, all these years I never knew I had crooked legs. I don't know about the Protonics. You will have to let me know how that goes for you. I have done quite a bit of PT and it hasn't helped me. We are looking at doing proximal and distal (fulkerson) realignment surgery in March. My OS said it was a "brutal" surgery. I wonder if that is what your OS was referring to.
Keep us posted.
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

support