Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL one year ago still having knee issues  (Read 988 times)

Offline gvaughn42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL one year ago still having knee issues
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am 37 and father of two children that are very active.  I am new to this, but need some assistance.  In October of 2013 I had my third and most traumatic lateral patella dislocation in my left knee.  The result was therapy and necessary surgery.  I had MPFL reconstruction from a cadaver tendon, and at the same time had a lateral release performed.  Though I believe, as does my surgeon, that the surgery went well I have struggled to fully recover ever since.  I was in a lot of pain for weeks after the surgery.  As PT began I discovered my muscles had shut down and wouldn't fire.  I began to use a stim machine at home as well as at Pt.  Though a bit behind my goals for range of movement I did eventually get to full ROM ( a painful experience to say the least).  At 6 months I still was struggling to walk normally and the knee felt very unstable, more pt was prescribed.  I followed both Dr. and PT therapists guidelines to the letter, but found I was unable to perform certain exercises without pain.  for example I could/ still cannot do wall squats using a ball or without.  I am now one year from my surgery and I have no pain sitting, riding a bike, but cannot run and have much difficulty going up or down stairs. When I bend my knee and upon straightening it back out I get three loud pops, pain, and a feeling like the patella is catching on something inside or is traveling over something.  This causes enough pain to make even taking laundry upstairs difficult.  Is my problem scar tissue build up or something worse.  What are my options?  I need my life to begin to resemble something normal again as I have two children ages 9 and 6 that desperately want their dad to play with them in the yard.  HELP.  Besides all these trials I have found that the once positive person I was has become somewhat negative and depressed.

Offline Chris-tea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MPFL one year ago still having knee issues
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:42:19 AM »
Hi gvaughn42,

I had a TTT and MPFL graft when I was 14 (2008) my knee would constantly dislocate. It took me a long time to heel, I spent about 2 months on crutches and about 1 month in a splint. I had to do physio 3 x a day and saw my physio a couple times a week.

in 2011 I was still having trouble and it got worse and worse to the point when I could not work. I went to a different doctor, and he said he will have to re-do the TTT as my knee was still out of line. In my second surgery he found my MPFL graft had been done too tight and was causing internal bleeding. He fixed it up and did a clean up. I was on crutches for about two days. I then did a year of physio and in between did hydrotherapy for a couple months.

Maybe see if you can get an MRI to check if you have any internal bleeding etc.

I still get lots of crunching and cracking when bending my knee.

I think once you have a knee problem you will always have a knee problem.

The trick is to make sure you persist with physio and hyrotherapy really helped, make sure you get a good physio you like.

I am now just this week having pain in my knee again because I have started doing swimming 3 x a week.   

Good luck with your knee, keep doing your physio and build it up
2008 TTT and MPFL right knee (14 years old)
2011 MPFL graft fixed and Arthroscopic

Offline gvaughn42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL one year ago still having knee issues
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I have made an appointment to see my surgeon to discuss my issues that seem to be getting worse.  I will push for an MRI to see if there is an identifiable culprit.  I hope that whatever is causing the pain will be easily corrected and not a start-all-over situation.

support