Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Allograft Transplant Recovery - Still Pain when squatting?  (Read 7625 times)

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Allograft Transplant Recovery - Still Pain when squatting?
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »
Hi All-

I am 6 weeks post op from an allograft transplant procedure.  I had two defects both about 1.5 cm.  One was in the trochlear groove and the other was on the lateral femoral condyle.  I am worried because I recently bent down on my surgical leg and could feel the weight bearing pain, which is the exact same pain I had before the surgery.

I am hoping this is because the plugs haven't completely healed.  If anyone had pain ONLY when bending and then presented for an allograft plug surgery, how long did it take you be able to bend deep squat without pain?  If ever:(

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Allograft Transplant Recovery - Still Pain when squatting?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Hi! 
I had 3 allograft plugs, 2 medial, 1 lateral and a microfacture ... I was told not to squat AT ALL till 6 months!
I am 16 weeks today and I still do no squats, stairs, inclines .. no bending of knee with weight bearing other than walking!

6 weeks just sounds soon based of the rehab protocol I was directed to follow.

my recommendation (from experience, this was my 5th knee surgery (2 major) in last 4 years) .. patience!

good luck!

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
Hi Thornburg-

Thanks for the reply.  I will take your advice and be patient.  I'm hoping that I am expecting too much too soon. My major concern is that my knee feels NO different than it did before the surgery. Thoughts?

Also, do you or do you know of anyone that had an allograft surgery only later to found out the cause of their pain was from something different?...

Offline nemo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »
Hi newkirk101,
I am on a waiting list for an osteochondral allograft of the lateral femoral condyle and possibly trochlear grove after failed autologous chondrocyte implantations. So we share quite similar sites of chondral damage. How is your progress, especially in terms of pain relief? How long did you have to wait for the procedure? Where did you have it done?
Hope you did not harm with that incident, good luck

nemo
1997,2001 ACL plasty left knee
2005 spontaneous meniscal tear m/w all-inside suture
2006 resuture
2006 2,5sqm full-thickness trochlea chondral lesion m/w microfracture
2007 LR
2008 06 ACL plasty (3rd)
        07 ACI w Chondrocelect femora trochlea
2010 03 ACI w Chondrocelect lateral femoral condy

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »
Hi Nemo-

I am about 12 weeks post op and I am walking up and down stairs.  I am fine walking though my knee feels similar to how it was before surgery.  I am going to wait a couple more months and see if there are any changes.  I guess I am hoping my knee is still healing.  I don't have any complications out of the ordinary.  I saw Dr. Mandelbaum in Santa Monica.  I also consulted with Dr. Bugbee in San Diego.  I waited about two weeks for the surgery but I was having symptoms for over a year.  When they opened my knee up they found an unexpected trochlear groove defect that they plugged.

My advice, talk to the doctor before they open you up and ask him to do a thorough review of all knee components especially under the knee camp.  Unlike other knee surgeries, the cartilage transplant requires them to open the knee up for a complete view.  Please keep me posted on your surgery.

Thornburg, how are you doing?

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »
Thornburg, how are you doing?

Offline Overdidit

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
I had everything you had among with microfracture and want even allowed to walk full weight bearing for 8 to 10 weeks.  No squatting for almost a year.  In the end mine ended up failing after the attempts and 8 surgeries later and just had a partial knee replacement on January

Offline Owie72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »
I am two weeks post op. First surgery for me at 42 after a recent basketball injury. I have a 15mm allograft/medial femoral condyle, medial and lateral meniscus clean up, and ACL reconstruction. No nerve block, off pain meds in three days. I'm feeling pretty good so far. I think I will meet my Dr recommendation of four weeks no weight bearing pretty easily. Swelling is down. Strength and mobility is comming back earlier than I expected. I dont think I'll be interrested in squatting anytime soon. At least not at 6 weeks. I have to slow myself down sometimes. Heck.... I think I could walk now. Ha ha!. I wont even try.

Offline nemo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
Hi newkirk101,
too bad your you have had so little improvement by 3 months. You were lucky though to get a graft so quickly. I am on a waiting list for surgery with Dr. Bugbee.
Good luck
2006 resuture
2007 LR
2008 06 ACL plasty (3rd)

Offline nemo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
Hi,
I just thought to continue this thread to document my postop course after OCA at the left LFC and lateral trochlea 6 weeks ago. I was quite satisfied in terms of pain, discomfort and progress with PWB excercise until 2 days ago. Without any real incident - but maybe it was caused by a closed chain excercise to increase my ROM in knee flexion I did cautiously the prior day? - I started to develope significant pain at the site of the OCA. I am going to have my first postop x-ray this week.
I would appreciate any comments and shared experience. What do you expect to see on the x-ray early postop?

Best wishes,
nemo
2006 resuture
2007 LR
2008 06 ACL plasty (3rd)

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
How are all of you doing?  I'm also postop from an allograft transplant (single defect in the medial femoral condyle) and am trying to understand more clearly what's ahead.  It's been less than four weeks for me, and my reserves of patience are not as ample as they need to be.

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »
Hi All-

I am about 10 months post op from OCA surgery.  At month three, I went through a nasty infection that put me in the hospital for 1 week.  At month 8-9, I noticed the pain in my knee when squatting was disappearing. The pain continues  to disappear. In this regard, the surgery has been a success. 

I cannot jog, however, and the knee does not respond well at all to high impact.  I am hoping the knee is still healing itself as it is still swollen.  What is everyone else's experience.

Offline LeandroTortura

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 05:03:48 AM »
Hello Guys, It is a such a good advice to hear here! I am 4 weeks with Lateral lesion 1.5 cm of diameter! I am in the NWB part! It is so hard this part, and I am so tired about this wait! I have to be patient! Tell me when this pain will go away, please?! Thanks!
24 years old, Volleyball player
ACL 2009 ON Left Knee
Microfractures on Left Knee 2012