Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Football Knee Injury  (Read 1080 times)

Offline CamachoMachoMan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Football Knee Injury
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:26:59 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the board and very excited to receive feedback.

Ok. So I play Semi-Pro football down in Miami. The other day in practice, my leg got caught under another player and forced my knees into an awkward position. I heard a pop but continued practicing for a bit. Not much pain but I  couldn't go full speed so I sat out. So that's how it happened.

I got an MRI and was diagnosed with:
1. Acute Proximal MCL Sprain
2. Acute proximal medial patellar retinaculum and medial patellofemoral ligament high-grade sprain vs. Partial tear
3. Focal proximal patellar tendonitis vs. Patellar tendon strain, No tear
4. Acute subchondral bone Contusion, Medial Tibial Plateau
5. Small Joint effusion

Now it's been two weeks. My knee hurts when I bend it. I feel pressure on the inside( medial side) of the knee. Im afraid to bend it but I am also afraid my leg will stay stiff FOREVER!!! I've worn an immobilizer since it happened. Is that ok? When should I take it off? What treatment should I do at home? When should I start physical therapy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:19:23 AM by CamachoMachoMan »

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
Re: Football Knee Injury
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your injuries.

You need to make an appoiintment to see an orthopaedist asap. Most OS offices have Physician's Assistants so that they can get people in more quickly. The PA will be able to assess your situation and prescribe the appropriate physical therapy. You don't want to delay this.

Keep your spirits up - you will recover and be able to play sports again, although it's going to take time.
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline CamachoMachoMan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
Thanks IHMK, problem is that I don't have insurance now. I wanted to know if there is a standard time to  go to PT and then return to action.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:40:28 PM by CamachoMachoMan »

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
Since you are in the US have you attempted to sign up for health insurance yet under the Affordable Care Act?

There are hazards in asking for help of non-experts on the internet. I would not have any idea what the outlook is for the retinaculum issue for example. Retinacula are little ligamentous loops that serve to guide tendons (and sometimes other tissue - I know the medulla oblongata of fish go through one - maybe other vertebrates too) and keep them oriented properly. They are small, but very important! The MCL sprain/tear can take quite a long time to heal completely. I had one in late March, for example, and it's much better now but still not completely healed. Bone bruises can take a long time too - my OS' PA said she has seen them take up to 2 years to heal. Mine was no longer in evidence in an MRI taken 7 months post injury. But everybody heals differently and at different rates.

Is there no physician for your football team who could suggest a course of action for you?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:35:17 PM by IHMK »

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)

Offline CamachoMachoMan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
I really pray that it doesnt take long, I've researched the MCL injury and it says it shouldnt take to long but I have applied for the insurance. Waiting on it. I was really hoping I could get back by mid February. Should I stay with the immobilizer for so long? Again thanks for the help!

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
I'm so glad you've signed up for an insurance plan. I hope it goes through very quickly. I would think you could at least call a surgeon's office on Thursday and tell them what insurance plan you signed up for and ask if you can make an appointment for January.

I wish I could advise you about the immobilizer but I wouldn't dare. I don't even know if it's okay to do the basic PT stuff, what with that retinaculum biz. With the other injuries you would want to be doing heel slides and quad sets, avoiding anything that causes pain that does not go away quickly - trying to get your range of motion back.

Hope somebody who has more knowledge and experience can add their comments (come to think of it, what AM I doing here on Christmas Eve???).

Offline CamachoMachoMan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:17:49 AM »
Hey I really appreciate you taking the time and giving me some help!!! Merry Christmas!!! I will get on it asap!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:38:46 AM by CamachoMachoMan »