Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scar not healing  (Read 626 times)

Offline mkhc08

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scar not healing
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:46:09 AM »
I had a cartilage graft 3 months ago and the scar is completely healed except one section , which is still raised and painful. It is scarring over but the raised and tender part of it is keeping my knee from bending as much as it could. They haven't done anything about it at PT, and I just had my 12 week post op check up but I forgot to mention it. Should I ask about it or wait and see if it finally heals before my next post op in 5 weeks, thanks

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Scar not healing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:43:51 AM »
after 3 months, if it's in a bendy spot, and it keeps being sore, I'd guess you've got underlying tissue adhesions where the scar is. Perhaps try some ice massage and see if that helps the discomfort as well as break up the scar tissue. take a foam cup and fill it about half full of water, freeze it, peel off the foam til you expose the ice. put the ice on the scar til it gets good and cold, rubbing back and forth across the scar as firmly as you can stand. they had me do this for bursitis/tendonitis and it helped when I whacked the heck out of my tendon and there was some issues when the tendon healed and it was stiff and not moving as well as it should.

You could ask your pt about doing this at home and see if it helps the sensitivity and your ROM.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support