Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: questions re- strain  (Read 896 times)

Offline kirstylea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
questions re- strain
« on: January 29, 2004, 09:28:15 PM »
hello again,
well, its been a week since I 'strained' my knee. I know thats not much of a deal to allyou guys with tears and such. But i have a couple questions for you anyway..

how long should i be on crutches, my gp never really said, so i kind of put them aside after a week.

in the morning when i wake up there is minimal swelling and i can walk ok .. for about 20 minutes, then my 'limp' starts up.. i feel like i dont have a tennis ball inside my knee anymore so much as a racquetball.. the swelling, but it hurts more now that the swelling has gone down, and i have had some massive/severe cramping on the outside of the strained knee, tear jerking and all. i go to get my donjoy brace today, those things are expensive!!.. my knee feels intense pressure and it then 'pops' and then there is a little bit of relief for a short time...

does it usually hurt more once the swelling goes down some? does this still sound like a strain. I had an mri and it said 'stable knee, no tears but could there be other damage in there? by the end of the day, i am in tears :-[  and very crabby to my poor daughters.. they are hating this as much as me. Especially since we live on the 3rd floor and it takes me a while to go one up at a time..

anyway,
i have learned a lot reading your posts and hope to learn more.. you're all such a nice group

thanks in advance and sorry to be a bother :-)

kirsty  
Just Breathe

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
Re: questions re- strain
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 03:54:05 AM »
Kirsty,

Hi and welcome to the board! How long have you been this way? Has it gotten any better? If it hasn't, it would not hurt to go see an orthopedic surgeon. An OS  would be able to diagnose you better than just a GP. They specialize in this kind of thing. It would be good to do if it doesn't feel right.

I know, I can get crabby with my girls and others when I am in pain too. They understand.

Hope this helped some!

Christina
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline kirstylea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: questions re- strain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »
Hi Christina,
thanks for replying. I got my donjoy brace yesterday, not too comfortable yet, but i do notice a big difference when i try to walk now. not so much of a limp. But last night was the WORST. My knee spasmed at about midnite and I couldnt do anything to stop it. I had to yell to my 13 year old daughter to come to my room to help me out of bed, so i could try to stand to get rid of it.  I was in tears :-( (sound like a big whiner dont i?)

anyway. i strained my knee about 2 weeks ago. i initially injured them when i was in the army about 16 years ago, so they can be pretty weak and flair up every now and then. It doesnt help that i live on the 3rd floor with no elevator or that I am quite overweight..  excuses excuses i know.. oh well.

i am going to see my gp next friday and if it isnt better by then will insist on the ortho doc.

hope your having a good day!
kirsty
Just Breathe