Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TPF recovery  (Read 546 times)

Offline tshe87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TPF recovery
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Tyler and my TPF happened while I was hiking on 10/30/13.  The initial x-ray showed the tibia fractured mid-shaft and spiralled into the knee joint.   I was fitted on 10/31/13 with external fixator and dual fasciaotomies were made to prevent compartment syndrome.  After leaving the hospital I was fitted with a wound vac and this helped substantially with the swelling. I was plated internally on 11/25/13. The external fixation was removed and both fasciaotomies closed on the same day.

After all this I do not take the pain medication prescribed (Percocet 5mg) because of the lucidness they cause me.  I do take Gabapentin for the burning.  My pain in nothing compared to the dressing changes and the wound vac changes over the fasciaotomy sites. Unfortunately during my hospital stays my pain was poorly managed.

My questions are about recovery time and to receive any tips about others handled their recovery.  Thank you very much.
I am 26 YO. On the same leg/knee I also tore my ACL in 2005 and my MCL in 2012.

Tyler
(here is the link to my story)http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/539756/Hiker-rescued-after-falling-down-mountain-slide.html?
nav=5008&fb_action_ids=10200957089474111&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582