Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Gross laxity post surgery...  (Read 1539 times)

Offline rdw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Gross laxity post surgery...
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Long story short...

dislocated the left knee, snapped acl, pcl, and mcl.  Popliteal tendon, too.  the plan was to do the repairs in two surgeries, but a MRSA infection during the first changed that.

Four surgeries to clear the infection, and 6th overall  to re do all the repairs.

The last surgery was June 28th.  At this point my tibia and fibula can move front to back at least an inch.  It is possible to dislocate laterally, too.

Doc says the anchor points are all solid, the grafts themselves are loose.  He says that this is the best it gets, that I am in a brace for life.

I have a hard time believing that there isnt something that can be done...

My understandings that a tkr relies on the connective tissue in the knee, and that the replacement is only for the wear surfaces.  If that is true, a tkr wont really help.

I am at risk of continued injury with this, and need to know if there is an option. Its odd that folks are so eager to let me go with a disability...
Work fall, snapped (Left)  ACL, PCL, MCL. Torn popliteal tendon, cartilage.  MRSA inf in 1st op,4 addl to kill it, redo all repairs in the 6th surg.

Rt Knee, 40 years of abuse, 7 surg's and 3 acl's.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Gross laxity post surgery...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »
Hey,
I tore my acl,pcl,mcl and dislocated my tibia playing football almost two years ago and two operations later I am doing OK I suppose. My first surgery didn't go to well and my pcl and mcl failed so they went back in and replaced them again, now my mcl seems "good" and my pcl not so good as I have about half inch posterior sag(8 weeks post op). Before my last operation my surgeon said he wouldn't go in again and I know it still isn't right so I will be looking for another option/surgeon if he doesn't change his mind and decide it needs fixing, if its possible.

You seem to have had a worse time then me even though it was more or less the same injury, my advise would be to see another consultant if possible as what your describing sounds a little negative.I have read a number of posts online with similar injurys and some with similar complications but for your surgeon to say that's all i can offer is a new one. I can only go off what I have read over the past two years and I am by no means an expert so I can only give you my opinion. Good luck with your injury and hopefully you will get it sorted and back to some normality.

Sorry I wasn't much help but just ry and stay positive as there have been plenty of people who have overcome this and some even returned to physical activities.
Jay
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
ACL,PCL,MCL Reconstruction.....Sept 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.
PCL,MCL reconstruction..... Sept 2013.
Currently doing home workouts and have pcl laxity.

Offline rdw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply, J.

I have already decided on a second opinion.  Have the records in hand. 

Dec 26 I am getting an acl graft on the other knee, its already had 3 recons, and three scopes over 40 years.  I have had 12, coming on thirteen now, surgeries on the knees.  Aint that something?

Add in broken back, shoulders, etc., and I am at 24 now...

Best wishes, and Merry Christmas!
Work fall, snapped (Left)  ACL, PCL, MCL. Torn popliteal tendon, cartilage.  MRSA inf in 1st op,4 addl to kill it, redo all repairs in the 6th surg.

Offline JFisher3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
That's some punishment to the body, hopefully you will have a better result this time round. Good luck with that and have a good christmas , or at least as good as possible  ;)
Football injury leading to dislocation of tibia and rupture of ACL,PCL,MCL.... Feb 2012.
ACL,PCL,MCL Reconstruction.....Sept 2012.
PCL,MCL failed.
PCL,MCL reconstruction..... Sept 2013.
Currently doing home workouts and have pcl laxity.

Offline rdw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:19:38 AM »
Well, on the 19th I met with the surgeon to plan my repair of the prior acl damage on the OTHER knee.

On the 26th he did a patellar graft on it, and I am already doing well. No pain meds at all since the day of surgery. That is if you dont count aleve.  Two a day.

Ican sorta get around with only one crutch, but am going slow due to the laxity in the left...

I confirmed again with Doc that he doesnt think there is anything that can be done with the left.  I have made an appt for a custom brace.  I will see them on the tenth.