Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: swelling at one-year post-op acl recon  (Read 664 times)

Offline hnmead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
swelling at one-year post-op acl recon
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »
I had acl reconstruction a little over a year ago. Everything has been going pretty good, except that my knee seems to get swollen easily. After a five-hour shift at work, during which I am on my feet about 90% of the time, it is swollen. Even if I take ibuprofen before, during, and after. I haven't worried about this too much and just attributed it to not strengthening my quads as much as I should have. Does anyone know if that would be the reason? Or should I be more concerned? Also, one thing I am kind of concerned about is that I twisted my knee when I stepped in a deep hole today. It didn't hurt very bad at all and I didn't think much of it. I went to work and when I got home and put my feet up I noticed a lump at the incision site where they attached the graft. I haven't had any trouble walking (beyond that caused by the everyday swelling). Anyone know if this is serious or not? The lump is about half the size of a golf ball.   Any advice would be great.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: swelling at one-year post-op acl recon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
The swelling definitely isn't abnormal, especially given the demands you're placing on your knee at work. Quad strengthening will help, but partly it's just time. Although your graft will be fully healed in place now and the bone tunnels will have filled in, it takes a surprisingly long time for the knee joint to go back to feeling "normal" - especially if the supporting muscles aren't back to full strength.

It's a good sign that your knee didn't hurt when you twisted it, but given the lump I would definitely get it checked out by a doctor or your physio - that's a sign that you did something, though hopefully nothing too bad.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support