Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain and need help  (Read 930 times)

Offline k21968

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee pain and need help
« on: January 28, 2004, 11:51:46 PM »
Hello. I suffered a pretty brutal injury to both knees on Nov 25th. I was laying on the loveseat with my feet on the arm (my knees were not supported and were straight). My 72 lb daughter came and jumped on my legs (trying to give me a hug) and it hurt both knees at that time pretty bad. The next day they hurt but were bearable. By the Dec 1st I couldnt take it anymore so I went to the Dr. He told me I had suffered "ligament damage" and "soft tissue injury" and to take Celebrex and they will be ok. He also told me my right knee cap is "not in the right place" but he did not refer me to an orthopedic doctor which angers me. I cannot go without a referral. He told me to ride a bike or swim for exercise.  I tried the bike and it hurt like heck after about 5 minutes. Well, I am still in pain. The pain I am having is in the back of my knee and it radiates to the top of my calf. Sometimes the top of my knee and bottom of my thigh hurt as well. (feels like a pulled muscle) THe muscles in my calf feel "tight". Currently it is a dull achey feeling. I have good days and bad ones...mostly every day though is painful. I am wearing no sort of brace because my doctor didnt tell me to. The right one is much worse than the left one.My knees both feel like they are going to give out but htey dont. They just arent as stable as they used to be. If I walk much my shins hurt as well. I have to see a military doctor and they like to throw a bottle of pills at you and not get to the root of the issue. I want to be informed as to what could be damaged, how long it will take to go away, and what I can expect in the long term. From what I have read I *think* I have damaged my meniscus and PCL. I dont want surgery, but I cant bear this much more. I am very anxious about it, for I have never injured both knees at the same time and it makes walking scary. I can do it, but like I said they feel kind of wobbly or shaky. It is hard to describe. I hope someone else out there understands and can help me. The part that gives me anxiety is that it is *both * knees. I have a re-check Monday with my dr for my knees and I want to go in there informed and able to speak intelligently about this and hopefully get x-rays or at least a referral to an Ortho doc. Anyone else do anything simular? does my self diagnosis sound correct? PCL and Meniscus? What is the treatment? Should I be wearing braces of some sort? How long does it take to heal? DOes Celebrex really help? I havent taken it...
Karen

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee pain and need help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 05:11:21 PM »
Hey !

Don't go around with the knees. Go see a ortopeadic surgeon as soon as possible.

nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Knee pain and need help
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 08:09:20 PM »
As was said earlier, you really do need to see an orthopedic surgeon.  Your mechanism of injury does sound like maybe a PCL injury.  If it is, surgery is hardly ever done except in certain circumstances.  The majority of PCL tears are treated conservatively since the PCL does not stabilize the knee as much as the ACL.  The posterior laxity can normally be controlled by excellent quad strength and control.  If you are trying to do any exercises, for now avoid open chain hamstring exercises as these increase the posterior shearing force.  

If you do have a mensicus tear there are two surgical options either repair or menisectomy.  Repair are not done that often since the mensicus has very little healing ability.  With a mensectomy, the tear is simply removed.  The recovery is quick, and we are often able to release athletes within 10 days.  Physical therapy is often not even needed.  

1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.