Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PKR Candidate - ARGH  (Read 5695 times)

Offline paddletennis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
PKR Candidate - ARGH
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:53 AM »
Hi there!  I'm an AVID (and very good!) doubles tennis player and paddle tennis coach here in Marina Del Rey, CA. I am a  58 year old female, play about 3 hours a day 5 x a week.  Guess I should say "played".  Had meniscus surgery 8 yrs ago, right knee medial compartment.  And now I am paying for it. I've gotten by a lot longer than I should have. The past three weeks I have been having a "popping" in the back of my knee, feels like there's big knot there that tightens then pops, and the whole knee freezes up then releases.  I saw a doc about a month ago who looked at my MRI from June and said I am ready for a PKR.  That was before all this pain started. I am probably going to have the surgery in February. And just my luck, I have planned a 3 week vacay to Australia in January to watch the Aussie Open and visit three cities there.  I am hoping my knee will just hold up until after my trip.  Very worried about that. And more worried about not being able to play tennis after the surgery.  I am doing PT twice a week, plus working out twice a week to stabilize the knee and keep it strong. Words of encouragement - PLEASE!  :-\

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
Re: PKR Candidate - ARGH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:30 AM »
It sounds like you are doing everything within your power to keep your strength up and stay moving.  With that kind of motivation I think you'll do wonderfully.  Your recovery should be better if you keep the muscles working right up until the surgery -still won't be a piece of cake, but will be better than those who are more idle.  Over the next few weeks, try to find the right balance of activity & rest.  By the time your vacation is here, you'll be much better able to plan your days so that you can enjoy the time & it will be awesome and amazing.  As far as tennis after, there are MANY folks who are able to get back to tennis and similar sports, so there is sooooo much hope that you will too.  Just remember that this site can be a bit jaded (self included) and to take what you read with a healthy knowledge that people with great outcomes rarely sit at a computer & post ;)  They're out enjoying life & you will be too very soon.  Cheers-A
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
I am 6 yrs your junior and had a left PKR in April of this year.  Within a week of my surgery I had my knee bend back to 100 degrees.  By the time I started my outpatient PT I was over 115 degrees.  Being that you are physically fit and active you should have no problem recovering from this surgery.  It is much better than having a TKR. 

Before my surgery I was playing men's recreational hockey.  Within 10 weeks of my surgery I was back on the ice playing again.

Do the PT and you should be fine and have no problem going back to playing tennis.

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Attitude=Altitude
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »
I will have my surgery in 2 weeks  :-\ :) so we will have to compare notes. Who is your OS btw?

Oh, wanted to add, I have heard of people returning to play soccer after one of these surgeries, though not advised! I think paddle tennis will be a piece of cake! ;)

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Attitude=Altitude
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »
It sounds like you are doing everything within your power to keep your strength up and stay moving.  With that kind of motivation I think you'll do wonderfully.  Your recovery should be better if you keep the muscles working right up until the surgery -still won't be a piece of cake, but will be better than those who are more idle.  Over the next few weeks, try to find the right balance of activity & rest.  By the time your vacation is here, you'll be much better able to plan your days so that you can enjoy the time & it will be awesome and amazing.  As far as tennis after, there are MANY folks who are able to get back to tennis and similar sports, so there is sooooo much hope that you will too. Just remember that this site can be a bit jaded (self included) and to take what you read with a healthy knowledge that people with great outcomes rarely sit at a computer & post ;)  They're out enjoying life & you will be too very soon. Cheers-A
Took the words right out of my mouth. I had always wondered why it was so difficult to find any results to my google searches for "PKR success stories", etc. Then I realized that most of the people posting are having issues with pain or complications from the surgeries or conditions. People that are doing well are rarely on this this forum or others like it posting! I will say that I am going to be different and I will try to log as much info as I can, but I do intend to be a "success story" so hopefully I can find the time between all the hiking, running, skiing and other sports I intend to revisit after my knee heals! ;D