Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sched. Dec. 27th PKR Left Lateral-Smith Nephew Journey Hardware  (Read 4962 times)

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Attitude=Altitude
Sched. Dec. 27th PKR Left Lateral-Smith Nephew Journey Hardware
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Hi Everyone. Severe OA left lateral compartment with signs of early stage OA in the medial compartment. Left lateral compartment also caved in with about a 3-4 degree deficit (valgus deformity/"knocked-knee").

I am 49 y.o. and have had this knee problem since my senior year of high school (football injury) so been managing the problem for about 30 years.....menisectomy, 3 ACL repair/recons, 3 debridment surgeries prior hx. Have stayed unbelieveably active for nearly all 30 years (football, basketball, skiing, snowboarding, running, hiking, mountain biking) but the complications and pain have finally become to much of a distraction and annoyance.

Posted here in the forum off and on for the last 3-4 years and have finally reached the moment of truth. Tried to avoid having to resort to this surgery, but I realized after exhausting all other avenues that this would be the best long-term solution for me if I wanted to at least try to arrest the OA developing in my knee, hip and back (all related to the lateral knee problem) and live an active life without pain or having to think about my knee every second. What else....surgery to be performed by Dr. Sisto, Los Angeles Orthopedic Institute, Sherman Oaks, CA

Has anyone had this paticular type of hardware "installed" lol??? I was very impressed by the wear and friction testing results claiming 30 year life span. I researched all the different makers (Stryker, Oxford, Corin, etc.) and I liked the technology behind the Smith Nephew the best.

I am sure I will be a regular here in the coming months and will try to document my experiences as I recover. Hopefully whatever I share will be of benefit to others seeking advice with their issues.

I appreciate any and all comments, questions and friendly voices who chose to connect with me.

Offline RedRider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sched. Dec. 27th PKR Left Lateral-Smith Nephew Journey Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Please update your results/progress, there's not a lot of information out on the bicompartmental replacements and the iDuo.  My MD recommended a bicompartmental knee resurfacing (lateral and patellafemoral) so I'm looking for as much information as possible before I pull the trigger.  He suggested separate hardware for the lateral and patellar compartments though.

Thanks for the info, and good luck with your procedure!