Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella tendonitis - surgical referral.  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Bucks1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella tendonitis - surgical referral.
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
I everyone.

I am a 33 year old male.  I have experienced knee pain on and off for the last 8 years. I finally got up the courage to see my GP. She referred me to physio. I received treatment for about 5 months until the physiotherapist was happy with the level of movement I had gained. The pain never really went away. About a year later I could not put up with the pain anymore so returned to my GP and was referred to physio again. Have been having physio for about 6 months with a diagnosis of patella tendonitis. After my last session I was told I would need to be referred to surgical as the pain was not easing.

Does anyone know what surgery I could need? Or could surgical mean injections? 

What really appreciate hearing others experiences.

Al

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
Re: Patella tendonitis - surgical referral.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:04:03 AM »
In most cases, surgery won't do much.  From what I've heard.

Is your PT knowledgeable in Tendonitis?   It's hard to find someone who truely is, in the end you know your knees best.

http://www.fix-knee-pain.com/jumpers-knee-treatment-triangle/   This has helped.  But Martin Koban has a book called beating patella tendinitis and it's worth a read.

I've been struggling with tendinosis in both knees for 14 months now.   I can now walk and do normal activities without any pain.   I still haven't gone back to cardio exercises I love.  But I had a severe case,  I'm happy just to be walking pain free again.

I think his book is really good.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I'm always eager to talk to people in the same boat as me :)
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline Bucks1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella tendonitis - surgical referral.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sara. I have since had x-rays and ultra sound which have now ruled out patella tendonitis .   I have now been referred to orthopaedics and trauma and have been discharged from physiotherapy. Awaiting appointment at the end of March. Will update after.   

support