Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No PT before ACLr?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline shaush1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
No PT before ACLr?
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:45 AM »
Hello All :)

I just found out today that I will not be doing PT prior to ACLr. I tore my ACL at work almost 4 weeks ago and was sent to our workers comp dr, who ordered an MRI. The MRI came back with an ACL tear and I was referred to the OS. Unfortunately, the OS won't be able to see me for a consultation until December 12, (6 weeks post injury). I called today to ask about pt and was told that it isn't ordered prior to surgery because I am limited on the number of sessions I can have because it is a workers comp claim and I will need it after the surgery.
In the meantime, I have been doing my own workouts which include squats (no weight), straight leg lifts, heel slides, quad sets, getting on the elliptical, and I started back doing the Insanity workouts (modified). So far, my knee feels good,but I still walk with a limp because I can't get full extension. Is it normal to not be able to fully extend the leg this far out post injury, when I can do everything else?
Also, is the lack of PT going to be detrimental to my recovery? Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with workers comp?

Thanks in Advance,
Shauna

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
Re: No PT before ACLr?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »
If I recall, you have a meniscus tear?  This could be the reason for the lack of extension if the torn tissue is getting stuck in the joint.  Something to discuss with the surgeon.

I couldn't straighten my leg for 5 months until I had the menisectomy, hobbled around on a bent leg

Good luck with it all :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline shaush1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
 I'm not sure if there is a meniscus tear. The MRI reported that the menisci were intact, but I can see a spot on the lateral meniscus that looks like a tear. I still haven't seen the OS, so I might be wrong (but my symptoms also fit a meniscus tear). All I know is that I'm ready to get this all over with. I don't know how people wait months/years to have their knee fixed. i cannot stand the lack of activity.
-Shauna

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
I waited on the recommendation of my surgeon, the tear was small on the MRI but got worse over time (meniscus was degenerate due to my age, 37 at the time)

Invasive surgery is always the last resort.  I was still able to work and go out etc.  I wasn't on crutches, not needing pain pills etc.  I think I even went to the gym etc

It is very hard to read an MRI without a lot of training and all of the images, so I'd wait for an expert opinion
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline shaush1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »
I will definitely be waiting for the surgeon to read the report..I can't do anything without him. As far as surgery goes, I'm definitely opting for it for the ACLr. I'm too active (my job, sports, etc.) to not have it.

thanks,
Shauna

Offline kimfit

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
Sounds like you're doing some great pre-hab on your own.  However one thing all the OS stress after surgery~ and did with me before~ is to have excellent flexion (bending) and complete extension (straightening) of the leg.  I also had an MCL, MPFL, and meniscal capsule tear and had to wait 3 weeks til my leg would straighten before they would operate.

That said, I would definitely take a look at doing some quad sets, hamstring stretching and strengthening especially if hamstring allograft is your pick.  The muscle waste is startling post-op. 

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »
i just had my 1st appointment with ortho and i didnt get scheduled pt either. i go back in 4 weeks and have to do an mri in the meantime . he said i should be walking and bending my leg pretty well by next appointment. Doesnt seem like that'll happen because my knee is so stiff its unbelievable. i try to stretch it and do exercises but once i hit a certain point bending it it wont go anyfurther and have sensation of sever pressure, like my kne ewill blow up if i go past that point. kinda wish i had pt to know whether its ok to try and push through that or not. i know pt is painful but it doesnt feel right to me once i start getting that feeling.

support