Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BONE BROTH - GELATIN - COLLAGEN - ANY EXPERIENCES OF THESE 3?  (Read 17220 times)

Offline GarethNeath

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
BONE BROTH - GELATIN - COLLAGEN - ANY EXPERIENCES OF THESE 3?
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
Hi, I have long running issues with both knees due to rugby injuries from about 20 years ago (currently 42). I have osteo arthritis in both knees but the later compartment of my right knee is the worst. I am still v active and swim, cycle and hike every other day on average (work & other committments prevent me doing more) but I get aching in my right knee in particular(of a similar sensation to tooth ache)  if I really overdo it (which usually means >2-3 hours cycling or >5-6 hours walking).

I have taken fish oil capsules, glucosamine sulphate capsules and MSM powder for years. Difficult to tell if they've helped much, tbh, I certainly hope so give the amounts I've spent on them. One thing that definitely has caused a noticeable improvement is giving up running. I didn't run much anyhow, but even 2-3 short runs a week left my knees hurting and when I gave that up 2 years ago for non impactive exercise my knees were noticeably better within weeks.

Recent research I have done on the internet had led me to try:

1. BONE BROTH - I have been making and consuming this for about 2 months now, usually mixing it with steamed vegetables in a blender to make thick veggie soups (sometimes with white meat/fish added). Bone broth is meant to be full of collagen, glycine, etc but I've found it difficult to source good bones to make it with. Too early to tell if it's helping but I think it is helping, albiet it subtly. If done well, bone broth is meant to form gelatin anyhow (when it is cooled in the fridge) but I've struggled to get a good consistency.

2. COLLAGEN - I ordered some Biocell II collagen capsules off the internet recently but they've not been delivered. Biocell is supplied from the US, it's a patented type of collagen supplement which looks v promising but time will tell.

3. GELATIN -  Alternatively, you can buy gelatin powder and mix it  with food/liquids. I recently ordered some Great Lakes Geltin powder which isn't cheap but is meant to be the creme de la creme of gelatin powder made from grass fed Argentinian cattle.

I'll report back in a few months with an update on whether my bone broth-gelatin-collagen strategy has led to noticeable improvements but would be interested to here if anyone else has tried any of these?

If they don't work then I may need to look at surgery, maybe having the acl reconstructed on my right knee (had my left one done 12 years ago and I'm sure it saved it left knee) in conjunction with meniscus replacement cartilage repair. I wouldn't have had the 4 meniscectomies I had done on my right knee over the years with hindsight, unless it's causing real porblems like jamming or locking my advice would be to leave you menisci well alone since when they are gone or partially gone you WILL get arthritis. I personally would also recommend trying to have your ACL reconstructed asap if you rupture it (though I know that the literature on this is not conclusive). I feel that if I'd had my right ACL done the same time as my left and not had bit of the meniscus surgically removed then my right knee would be much less arthritic now.

1996 - Meniscectomy - right knee
1999 - ACL reconstruction left knee
2002 - Meniscectomy - right knee
2004 - Meniscectomy - right knee
2011 - Debridement - right knee

Offline Mike_A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: BONE BROTH - GELATIN - COLLAGEN - ANY EXPERIENCES OF THESE 3?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
I've tried them all... am currently drinking a cup of bone broth every morning but am about to stop as I'm not noticing any difference is my knees.  Imo none of these are miracle treatments and I'm not sure if any of them help at all... I'm still looking for the cure!

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
I am seriously wondering why with such problems you would do such abusive level of exercise, are you in a rush for a knee replacement?

I mean it's good to exercise but not in such an aggressive fashion.

Biocell collagen might help, I am taking it too, but don't expect any miracle from it.

Have you had any injections? Hyaluronic acid and/or PRP? I would recommend both, but especially the second.

Offline GarethNeath

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
Hi, sorry for inordinate delay in replying, combination of work, travels and completion of a part time course!

Thanks for replies, I didn't think my current exercise regime was "abusive" but I did overdo it in my 20's and 30's which has no doubt contributed to my issues.

I did try one tub of Biocell tablets, difficult to tell whether they had any effect but I'd of course have to take them for at least a year in order to come to any view.

I've not tried PRP/hyalrunic acid injections. Had been considering PRP recently but the consencus seems to be that they are not effective at healing cartilage defects though are beneficial for tendons and ligaments.

I'm sticking with the bone broth and gelatin, will probably get some more Biocell collagen capsules too.

Hoping to have another MRI and xray shortly to assess current state of knee and consider options.

Looking to get an Ossur Unloader One Brace too since it should help me given that most of my pain is on the later side of my right knee. My gut feeling is that I'll have to look at an ACL reconstruction, mensical allograft and maybe surgical repair of the articular cartilage in the next several years, if I can afford it and am a candidate, but we'll see.

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:42:42 AM »
I have noticed that 1 Tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar with "the mother" in it helps with my arthritic knee (I definitely feel it more if I forget to take this). Mix in 8oz water and can add honey if you need to.   Was recommended to me by a leading veterinary surgeon who treats racehorses, thought he was crazy.  I 1st tried regular apple cider vinegar and had no benefit, but the kind with "the mother" has allowed me to decrease my use of NSAIDs (and has also helped with heartburn so even better!)

Your activity level seems reasonable to me also.  For those of us that have been athletes all our lives we have to move or we loose our minds ;)  Good luck to you!!!
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
FMRCathelete:

Apologies for my ignorance, I'm not a native speaker, so not sure what this is about...

What do you mean by "the mother" in it?

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
No apology needed as I'm not sure what it means either, but from personal experience believe it makes a difference.

Apple cider vinegar with "the mother" is cloudy and needs to be shaken well and is said to have more nutrients that plain apple cider vinegar.  What I use is Bragg Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the 'mother'.  It says the 'mother' of vinegar occurs naturally as connected strand-like chains of protein enzyme molecules. 

Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline GarethNeath

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 11:57:52 PM »
I hadn't heard of apple cider vinegar with 'the mother' in it either so googled it:

'Only use raw organic ACV has the ‘mother’ of the vinegar. The ‘mother’ is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria, similar to the ‘mother’ that’s in Kombucha. Clear vinegar is processed and doesn’t have any of the benefits that raw ACV has'

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out, though not sure if I'll be able to stomach it. I seem to be taking/eating almost every type of food/supplement which are supposed to be beneficial for OA already so adding another shouldn't do any harm. I recently added Vitamin D, calcium & iron supplements to my daily "dose", mainly because I was struggling to get them from my diet.

support