Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson/TTO #2, L Knee, Lateral Relase, Medial reefing & R screw removal  (Read 5162 times)

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
Re: Fulkerson/TTO #2, L Knee, Lateral Relase, Medial reefing & R screw removal
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
Jessjess, I can't believe how well you have been doing! Those rascally blood rushes suk! I definitely do not miss them.

I cringed when you started to talk about a swollen ankle. How isyourfoot range of motion? Does it go up towards your head like your other foot? I had nerve damage of some sort and my first symptom was the swollen ankle, then the zapping, then the foot drop! Otis slowly getting better, but I started PT therapies right away for the nerve damage. I pray for you that you do not have the nerve damage.
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Chondro- ROM on foot/ankle isn't as good as the good ankle. I can move toes towards my body some but swelling does interfere to some degree. My lower shin/top of foot is also very very tender. My toes on L foot are going numb off and on but I've chalked that up to them being cold. I've been wearing an ACE bandage around ankle for support but it's not enough. Going to buy an ankle brace today. I literally cannot walk on it in the AM until I ice or try to stretch it out. I was going to call OS soon if my ankle pain doesn't get any better. It gets worse if my leg isn't elevated. I'll go check out your diary and see what happened with yours. Thanks for the heads up!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
Hope your foot/ankle pain is subsiding and the blood rushes have not returned!
3/03- R knee dislocated
rest of 03 knee kept dislocating
1/30/04- R knee lateral release
11/05- L knee dislocated
2013- both knees pain increasing but R worse
12/11/13- R knee MPFL reconstruction, TTT and  lateral release

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
I am amazed that some of us TTT are walking at only 2 weeks! You guys are amazing!!! I wasnt allowed until 6 weeks and even then it was a struggle. You are doing so well. How is your   pain doing? Foot/ankle? Hope that is  improving. TTYL
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
Post Op Day 18

Thanks! I've been bearing weight on my L leg from day 1, partially because my R isn't 100% back to it's pre-op strength. My oldest daughter says I should walk with at least one crutch because I look funny walking without it. Ha ha ha. I told her I don't care what anyone thinks when I walk but I admire her honesty.

ugh, stupid foot and ankle still hurt especially in the morning. I can't really walk at all in the AM because of the ankle pain. I thought the pain on the top of my foot was from the bruising but I'm starting to wonder if it is peroneal nerve pain. I have pain all along the nerve from the lateral side of my leg down through my foot. I can point my toes towards my body some, just not as well as the R. I'm guessing if the nerve is damaged it's probably not too bad since I can point my toes and move my ankle some. I also still have swelling in my ankle so I'm guessing that is inhibiting some movement as well. I will call my OS soon if it gets worse or doesn't start improving.

I started back to work this week too. Just half days though. Nice to get out of the house. I work in the medical field so everyone is understanding.

Not too much to report. ROM is still around 85 degrees. Not really pushing it past there because it hurts and I still have swelling. This recovery is still much easier than my first one.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
I must say that I find it amazing that some of us are allowed to put weight on these surgery legs immediately while others are non weight bearing for long periods of time.  There is a doctor on here (Dr. Mark) that told me once that he has seen older women that did not have enough upper body strength to use crutches be allowed to put weight on the surgery leg right away - even with a DFO.

It is not really depicted by much other than what the patient can tolerate.  So I guess if we can tolerate being non weight bearing and being on a walker or crutches - then that is what we get.  But even Dr. Mark says that it has very little to do with our healing.  We will heal whether we are NWB or not.

That is frustrating while we are going through this. 
Thanks for letting me vent.
Lee Tipton

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
Lee- yep, my OS said I can bear weight in my immobilizer as soon as I feel up to it. They actually encourage you to get off the crutches as soon as you feel comfortable.

I don't know much about Dr. Mark but I do trust my OS's protocols so I am going with them. They also answer my questions pretty quickly if I call or email. That's cool if Dr. Mark says the same about weight bearing though. I know a lot of Orthos differ in their protocols.

I've seen quite a few people on Knee Geeks that speak highly of Dr. Mark. It's like he has a huge fan following :).
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »
It's great that they're pushing you to weight bear, and that you feel up to it! In my drugged up state at 1week post-op, I thought my doctor was actually encouraging me to ditch my crutches altogether and walk around with my brace completely locked, but upon discussing it with my physical therapist the next day, she told me that I must have been mistaken (entirely possible) and that I shouldn't ditch either of my crutches until 6 weeks.  I wonder where all the inconsistency around best PWB/FWB practice comes from?  Seems to me it should be a little more consistent...

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
I am really surprised as well that you have been weight bearing since day 1 but understand due to your other leg.  I am not allowed to weight bear or bend for at least 1 week...

Question-Did you start bending your knee right away? I am guessing yes since you are at 85 ROM at 18 days post op.  Like I said above, my OS told me today no bending for the first week because of the TTT.  I am surprised about the differences between OS's...

Hope you foot/ankle pain is getting better and you don't have nerve damage!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
I too laugh about the inconsistencies in the protocols. With my TTT I was allowed to bend a couple of times/day as part of my exercises (heal slides and straight leg raises). The day after surgery I had PT and was measured at 89 degrees and my PT wanted me to aim for 110 by the next week. The next day I was hospitalized for infection and my surgeon freaked out when I told him how far I was bending. He said DO NOT BEND PAST 90 degrees for at least 2 weeks! I guess people with TTT and lateral release do not have my ROM right after surgery. He said I am the only patient he ever had to limit on ROM after this surgery!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
How are you? Hope your ankle pain/swelling is better!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Hey! Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile. So busy, been working a lot too. Probably doing too much but swelling has been ok. My knee is still puffy. I'm hurting today from too much cleaning yesterday. Lots to clean with kids and Christmas presents.

Bending past 100 degrees now, woot! I don't remember when I started light bending, end of the first week, not right away. I was too swollen and too afraid to bend before then. When I start bending in the 100 degree range I get that familiar burn feeling like I did when I was trying to get my ROM back on my R knee back in May. Not pushing it though, only bending to what is normal and comfortable until I start PT which is hopefully in the next 10-14 days.

How is everyone else healing and feeling?
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:56 PM »
Hello!

I haven't been on here in about a month now. Started PT 2 weeks ago. At my first visit and eval my ROM was 120 degrees on my own! I was super excited. I spent a lot of time working on my ROM at home right after surgery so I wouldn't have as hard of a time at PT trying to gain 50 degrees again. With PT pushing me I can get to about 130, my max or equal to my other leg is 140.

I think I over did it my first 2 sessions bc I was hurting and stiff the next week.

So far this recovery has been much easier but I still can't sleep comfortable and I wake up in pain every day. I'm also still trying to walk without a limp. I've been working a lot since early post-op and I'm always swollen by the end of the day. I still ice EVERY day too.

I hope everyone else is doing ok with their recovery!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Hi! Long time no post.

No real change in ROM, knee is still swollen and painful. Over it. PT and OS say that the fluid in my knee is restricting me from reaching full ROM. Almost to my 1 year mark for my R TTO. Yesterday I got hyaluronic acid injections in both knees. WOW it hurt in my R knee. I thought my L would hurt more since it's only 4 mos post op. They said my R might have hurt more because the injection was trying to go through scar tissue. It felt like he was moving my kneecap around or something extremely painful. I wasn't prepared for that pain! haha. Oh well, at least it's over now. I go back a few more times for more injections then hopefully relief!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

support