Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson/TTO #2, L Knee, Lateral Relase, Medial reefing & R screw removal  (Read 5227 times)

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Surgery was performed yesterday. Today is Post Op Day 1. I think nerve block is still working some. Would love to by-pass the blood rushes this time if that's even possible, ha ha. Will post more later but hoping for an easier recovery this time, at least mentally since I know the drill. I can weight bear on surgical leg with immoblizer on and 1 crutch. once the blood rushes start I'm sure I'll have to use both crutches again. Taking it easy and resting as much as possible, staying on top of the meds for when the block fully wears off.

Oh and R knee Fulkerson was done approx 7 mos again. I ran up and down the stairs yesterday while I still could. R leg was recovered enough for running but quad wasn't 100% back yet. I'm sure I'll gain muscle in the R quad now that I'm compensating for the L. Hard training my brain to use my R leg for everything since it's been the other way around for years if not almost 30 yrs. My knees started swelling at age 5. Glad to be done with surgery and hopefully forever!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:22:08 PM by JessJess28, Reason: edit Title »
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Re: Fulkerson/TTO #2, L Knee, Lateral Relase, Medial reefing & R screw removal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Post Op Day 3- Nerve block started wearing off right at the 24 hour mark Tuesday then Tuesday night (Post Op Day 1) was pretty painful like 9 on scale 1-10. I also have blisters on my leg, away from the incision. My guess is that they are either from the orange surgical scrub stuff they put on my leg or fracture blisters. Going to see OS this AM to make sure they are "ok".

So far the swelling and bruising seems less than my first TTO back in March. Trying to stay positive and hopeful that this recovery will be easier.  Will post more later once I see OS Re: the blisters. I looked around on Knee Geeks and see some of you have had them before. Last time I got some from steri strips but those were more blood like.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:33:24 AM »
Saw my OS this AM for the blisters. He said they are fracture blisters, not very common. They wrapped my incision back up with guaze and an ace bandage. They did increase in size today from yesterday, they do not look pretty either. That's about it, soooo tired.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
Post Op Day 6-    Oh, holy blood rushes! Ow, ow, own. I thought maybe I would skip that part this time. At least it's only 30 sec or so when standing but it's excruiating.

Bending my knee some at night now once I'm relaxed and have take some pain meds. I'm not bending too far though, maybe 30 to 40 degrees. It is a bad good feeling, like stretching a really really sore muscle. Sleep is better at night but then I wake up 6+ hours since taking any pain meds and oy! I think this part, day 5 to 6 is the worst for pain. First days post op you get that adrenaline suh then bam, swelling, bruising and blood rushes. I know I'm doing too much at home too since I have 2 kids but I'm also very stubborn and independent.

Not walking on crutches really at all this time though. I use them for support but I am walking on my surgical leg in the immoblizer. Maybe it will help recovery or circulation? OS said I can walk in immoblizer whenever I am ready and can bend my knee when sitting, just no bending with weight on it. Staying optimistic that the worst pain will be over soon!

Any other TTO's or similar surgeries recovery right now? Hope you are doing ok!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:48:06 PM »
Hope your blood rushes and blisters are doing better! 

I can't give you any 'tips' or advice as my surgery (MPFL reconstruction and TTT w/ possible LR) has not happened yet-12/11.  But I will continue to follow your posts and hope for a speedy recovery for you!  Good luck! :)
3/03- R knee dislocated
rest of 03 knee kept dislocating
1/30/04- R knee lateral release
11/05- L knee dislocated
2013- both knees pain increasing but R worse
12/11/13- R knee MPFL reconstruction, TTT and  lateral release

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
Jennifer- Thank you! Blood rushes were very intense this AM. I went 8 hours over night with no meds and I when I got up to go to the bathroom OMG. 1 blister down, 2 left but they are deflating I think. They aren't as scary as the ones I've seen on Google images and stuff. They are smaller than a quarter but definitely a site!

Good luck with your MPFL and TTT. It's a good thing you are reading up on KGs so you know what to expect and how to prepare. If you have any specific questions about the TTT or LR let me know. This is my 2nd so I have some experience :). I've also read waaay too much, lol. But I always like to be informed and I work in the medical field too.

Post Op Day 7  Day of the word is BLOODY BLOOD RUSHES. OMG, 8 hours of no meds while sleeping then getting up to pee and OW OW OW. I really hope the worst of the blood rushes is over. Last time I had Day 9 or 10 as being a really hard then I turned the corner. I think getting up more often helps with them but obviously you can't do that at night.

Not much else to say, just waiting for the worst to be over. Still going out once in awhile and playing with the kids so not just sitting all day. Oh and I got to about 80 degrees of flexion today! On my own, no CPM.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Post OP Day 8 Blood rushes much improved!!! yay!!! Much better day!

Post Op Day 9 I think it's safe to say I'm over the horrible pain hump! Yay!!! I'm not sure if it's bc I started ROM exercises sooner, iced more, or just that my L Knee wasn't as damaged as the R but something worked out and I'm recovering much faster this time. I'm up to 85 degrees of Flexion (ROM) today too! If I try for 90 it starts to hurt so I"m not going to rush it or push it.

My immobilzer is ready to be adjusted too whereas last time it took a month until I was at that point. I know the swelling is going down a lot and I'm sure part of it is atrophy all though my L quad is still bigger than the R.

Feeling much better this time around and more confident! Starting to believe this was a good idea to have 2 TTOs so close together (approx 7 mos).

ANyone has any questions feel free to ask :)
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
Dear Jess,

I wanted to say hello and to wish you a wonderful recovery.  My goodness - you are doing this with 2 small children to take care of.  You are one brave gal!!!

You had so much more done than I had.  But you have experience and that matters.  I am non weight bearing for another 4 weeks.  I am definitely looking forward to getting passed that stage where I can at least put weight on the leg.  I won't even know if I will be able to tolerate the pain once I am allowed to walk on it.  I was able to walk on it before my surgery - but very slowly and very carefully.  My knee did not bother me too much - but the way that my femur was turned really cause my ankle to ache - a lot.  So I am hoping that this time off my ankle will give it a chance to heal too and maybe I will get some pain relief so that walking will be possible.

I wish you well and will watch for your posts.
Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
ROM at 85 by day 9!!!! WOW! I soooo hope I rehab as quick as you!

Glad to hear your blisters and blood rushes are much better, hoping I don't have those!

Questions- What are you wearing bc of the brace? I don't think my jeans are going to fit over so should I expect to live in sweatpants for weeks? Lol   Also, when are you starting PT?
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 02:37:04 AM »
Lee- thank you for your nice words :). Hang in there over these next 4 weeks! I hope it passes quickly and you can walk and do more easily. Do you have a lot of books or TV shows to keep you occupied?

Jennifer- thank you! The only reason I am so excited about my ROM this time is bc I felt it took forever last time to get back. I was maybe 90 degrees at 6 to 7 weeks last time. I don't start PT until close to 7 weeks so I only did some stretches and basic exercises at home. This time bc I know the drill I'm trying to bend as tolerable to get things moving so I don't lose too much ROM. I'm not pushing until it hurts though. I don't want to mess anything up but I also don't want to lose any ROM. I had to fight last time and probably through some scar tissue. I really think that this recovery is going a lot better bc it's my L Knee and it's not as bad as the R one. It did have damage when he did the scope but not Grade III like on my R. My R patella also has a bone chip missing from it.

I wouldn't set any expectations for ROM just see how you do and try to do what you can as long as it's within your OS's protocols. Recovery can vary between your two knees so you just don't know how it's going to be until it happens.

I think blood rushes are inevitable, blisters are just luck of the draw I guess, lol. Some stuff I read said they are not common but others said they are more common on the tibia. You just have to find a way to deal with the blood rushes, get up slow and take deep breathes until it passes. I think there are 2 to 3 days where they are the worse especially if you don't move your leg for hours and hours like at night.

I'm in an immobilizer brace with straps. It doesn't have the ROM dial on the side or anything like that. It's nothing fancy. Your pants won't fit over the brace but if you can put your pants on over your swollen leg and then put the brace on that will work. If they are tight jeans then it probably won't work until the swelling is better. I live in a warm part of the US so I don't wear pants a lot and the immobilizer is pretty warm.

I don't start PT until 6 or 7 weeks post op. I don't think they really do much before then anyway bc the fracture is still healing. When will you start?
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
I am going to ask my OS about bending my knee at home bc I think I remember him saying at my last appt. about not bending at all for at least the first week so I don't want to do something I shouldnt but also don't want to wait to long. I am going to to be NWB for the first week but not 100% sure about working on ROM. I know I will be in a locking brace locked at 0 for the first week so not sure I will be allowed to bend at all out o the brace.

Guess I should have asked where u live bc of wearing pants. Lol. I live in PA so since its December, definitely can't get away w wearing shorts! I am hoping maybe some of my stretchy jeans will fit over!

I think I will be starting PT 1 week post op if my 1 week post op appt. goes well, that's what I was told but everyone on here seems to be waiting much longer so maybe I heard him wrong?  I know every OS is different so guess ill see!

Hope your swelling and blood rushes continue to improve!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »
Invest in yoga pants for under the brace! :D then I wore dresses/skirts/long shirts with them. No need to put pants over brace.
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
thanks Chondro! Love yoga pants :).

Post Op Day 11 Doing well, blood rushes are minimal or gone. When I wake up in the AM my ankle is really sore and really hard to walk on so I have to use a crutch or hold onto the dresser to get out of my bedroom. Hopefully once the swelling goes down it will get easier.

Even though the blood rushes are gone I still have pain. I've been getting some electric shock feelings in the shin and near the incision. Today I've just had more achy pains but bad enough that I've taken some pain meds for them. Also feel like my foot and calf have been cramping. I'm moving my leg enough so I know the blood is circulating. If anything I need to slow down and at least use 1 crutch. Yesterday I didn't use crutches all morning and by early afternoon my shin was hurting.

I still have some swelling, definitely have bruising but you can tell it's starting to fade away. ROM is still good, about the same. Not pushing it to try to get past 90. I left a msg for my OS's office to see if I can start using a stationary bike. I don't start PT until 6 weeks so I'm stuck with the few exercises they gave me at my pre-op appt.

I bought a shower bench this time and I'm so glad I did. I didn't have one for my first TTO. I also have an old knee brace/mini immobilizer that prevents me from bending my knee so I've just been wearing that in the shower since I don't care if it gets wet. Then I don't have to worry if I need to  put some weight on my surgical leg.

Can't wait to drive on Monday- 2 weeks! Going back to work on Monday too. I have a desk job and work part time. I'll just see how it goes and if I need to leave early it's not a big deal with my boss. I work in the medical field so they all understand which is nice. I don't have to explain over and over and over again what type of surgery I had.

Anyone have any advice for a quick explanation to tell people when they ask what happened to your knee? Sometimes I say "knee cap realignment" and use the getting your tires aligned analogy. So many people just don't get it since it's not just a simple scope or ACL.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
I have a couple pairs of yoga pants and leggings but not sure if I will be able to take the brace off, get pants on and then the brace back on, at least for the first week or two...might take a awhile and need LOTS of help! LOL  Guess I will have to wait and see!

Glad to hear your blood rushes are better and pretty much gone!  You are down to one crutch already?! Wow! My OS said I'll be on 2 crutches till about the 4-6 week mark.  Were you NWB at all?  I will be for the first week so not expecting to be down to one crutch for awhile...

I am anxious to hear how other people explained their surgery bc I am already having trouble explaining what I'm having done.

Hope work goes well for you on Monday!! :)
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »
Thanks Jen!

I had some blood rushes last night but I wasn't on any meds and my brace was loose :(.

My OS said I could walk out of the surgery center with my immobilizer if I wanted to or get rid of the crutches at 3, 5, 10, 20 days, whatever I wanted just have to keep the immobilizer on. I guess no, wasn't NWB. Also bc it has only been 7 mos since my R TTO my R leg doesn't feel as strong as I would like so I don't want to put all my weight on it all the time. Maybe if it was stronger I would put my L up more. My L is my strong leg still, ha ha.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
Jessjess, I can't believe how well you have been doing! Those rascally blood rushes suk! I definitely do not miss them.

I cringed when you started to talk about a swollen ankle. How isyourfoot range of motion? Does it go up towards your head like your other foot? I had nerve damage of some sort and my first symptom was the swollen ankle, then the zapping, then the foot drop! Otis slowly getting better, but I started PT therapies right away for the nerve damage. I pray for you that you do not have the nerve damage.
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Chondro- ROM on foot/ankle isn't as good as the good ankle. I can move toes towards my body some but swelling does interfere to some degree. My lower shin/top of foot is also very very tender. My toes on L foot are going numb off and on but I've chalked that up to them being cold. I've been wearing an ACE bandage around ankle for support but it's not enough. Going to buy an ankle brace today. I literally cannot walk on it in the AM until I ice or try to stretch it out. I was going to call OS soon if my ankle pain doesn't get any better. It gets worse if my leg isn't elevated. I'll go check out your diary and see what happened with yours. Thanks for the heads up!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
Hope your foot/ankle pain is subsiding and the blood rushes have not returned!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
I am amazed that some of us TTT are walking at only 2 weeks! You guys are amazing!!! I wasnt allowed until 6 weeks and even then it was a struggle. You are doing so well. How is your   pain doing? Foot/ankle? Hope that is  improving. TTYL
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
Post Op Day 18

Thanks! I've been bearing weight on my L leg from day 1, partially because my R isn't 100% back to it's pre-op strength. My oldest daughter says I should walk with at least one crutch because I look funny walking without it. Ha ha ha. I told her I don't care what anyone thinks when I walk but I admire her honesty.

ugh, stupid foot and ankle still hurt especially in the morning. I can't really walk at all in the AM because of the ankle pain. I thought the pain on the top of my foot was from the bruising but I'm starting to wonder if it is peroneal nerve pain. I have pain all along the nerve from the lateral side of my leg down through my foot. I can point my toes towards my body some, just not as well as the R. I'm guessing if the nerve is damaged it's probably not too bad since I can point my toes and move my ankle some. I also still have swelling in my ankle so I'm guessing that is inhibiting some movement as well. I will call my OS soon if it gets worse or doesn't start improving.

I started back to work this week too. Just half days though. Nice to get out of the house. I work in the medical field so everyone is understanding.

Not too much to report. ROM is still around 85 degrees. Not really pushing it past there because it hurts and I still have swelling. This recovery is still much easier than my first one.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
I must say that I find it amazing that some of us are allowed to put weight on these surgery legs immediately while others are non weight bearing for long periods of time.  There is a doctor on here (Dr. Mark) that told me once that he has seen older women that did not have enough upper body strength to use crutches be allowed to put weight on the surgery leg right away - even with a DFO.

It is not really depicted by much other than what the patient can tolerate.  So I guess if we can tolerate being non weight bearing and being on a walker or crutches - then that is what we get.  But even Dr. Mark says that it has very little to do with our healing.  We will heal whether we are NWB or not.

That is frustrating while we are going through this. 
Thanks for letting me vent.
Lee Tipton

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
Lee- yep, my OS said I can bear weight in my immobilizer as soon as I feel up to it. They actually encourage you to get off the crutches as soon as you feel comfortable.

I don't know much about Dr. Mark but I do trust my OS's protocols so I am going with them. They also answer my questions pretty quickly if I call or email. That's cool if Dr. Mark says the same about weight bearing though. I know a lot of Orthos differ in their protocols.

I've seen quite a few people on Knee Geeks that speak highly of Dr. Mark. It's like he has a huge fan following :).
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »
It's great that they're pushing you to weight bear, and that you feel up to it! In my drugged up state at 1week post-op, I thought my doctor was actually encouraging me to ditch my crutches altogether and walk around with my brace completely locked, but upon discussing it with my physical therapist the next day, she told me that I must have been mistaken (entirely possible) and that I shouldn't ditch either of my crutches until 6 weeks.  I wonder where all the inconsistency around best PWB/FWB practice comes from?  Seems to me it should be a little more consistent...

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
I am really surprised as well that you have been weight bearing since day 1 but understand due to your other leg.  I am not allowed to weight bear or bend for at least 1 week...

Question-Did you start bending your knee right away? I am guessing yes since you are at 85 ROM at 18 days post op.  Like I said above, my OS told me today no bending for the first week because of the TTT.  I am surprised about the differences between OS's...

Hope you foot/ankle pain is getting better and you don't have nerve damage!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
I too laugh about the inconsistencies in the protocols. With my TTT I was allowed to bend a couple of times/day as part of my exercises (heal slides and straight leg raises). The day after surgery I had PT and was measured at 89 degrees and my PT wanted me to aim for 110 by the next week. The next day I was hospitalized for infection and my surgeon freaked out when I told him how far I was bending. He said DO NOT BEND PAST 90 degrees for at least 2 weeks! I guess people with TTT and lateral release do not have my ROM right after surgery. He said I am the only patient he ever had to limit on ROM after this surgery!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
How are you? Hope your ankle pain/swelling is better!
3/03- R knee dislocated
11/05- L knee dislocated

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Hey! Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile. So busy, been working a lot too. Probably doing too much but swelling has been ok. My knee is still puffy. I'm hurting today from too much cleaning yesterday. Lots to clean with kids and Christmas presents.

Bending past 100 degrees now, woot! I don't remember when I started light bending, end of the first week, not right away. I was too swollen and too afraid to bend before then. When I start bending in the 100 degree range I get that familiar burn feeling like I did when I was trying to get my ROM back on my R knee back in May. Not pushing it though, only bending to what is normal and comfortable until I start PT which is hopefully in the next 10-14 days.

How is everyone else healing and feeling?
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:56 PM »
Hello!

I haven't been on here in about a month now. Started PT 2 weeks ago. At my first visit and eval my ROM was 120 degrees on my own! I was super excited. I spent a lot of time working on my ROM at home right after surgery so I wouldn't have as hard of a time at PT trying to gain 50 degrees again. With PT pushing me I can get to about 130, my max or equal to my other leg is 140.

I think I over did it my first 2 sessions bc I was hurting and stiff the next week.

So far this recovery has been much easier but I still can't sleep comfortable and I wake up in pain every day. I'm also still trying to walk without a limp. I've been working a lot since early post-op and I'm always swollen by the end of the day. I still ice EVERY day too.

I hope everyone else is doing ok with their recovery!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
Hi! Long time no post.

No real change in ROM, knee is still swollen and painful. Over it. PT and OS say that the fluid in my knee is restricting me from reaching full ROM. Almost to my 1 year mark for my R TTO. Yesterday I got hyaluronic acid injections in both knees. WOW it hurt in my R knee. I thought my L would hurt more since it's only 4 mos post op. They said my R might have hurt more because the injection was trying to go through scar tissue. It felt like he was moving my kneecap around or something extremely painful. I wasn't prepared for that pain! haha. Oh well, at least it's over now. I go back a few more times for more injections then hopefully relief!
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope