Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possibly the weirdest knee ever....  (Read 853 times)

Offline Sassyka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possibly the weirdest knee ever....
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
Hi

It has baffled the medical profession, physios and now the osteopath!

I have this knee which swells in a cyclical fashion. Swells for 3, flat for 9, swells for 3, flat for 9....yup I can set the date when it will swell and when it doesnt. I am an advanced/expert skier so my technique is good and I rarely fall so this 'knee condition' was not caused by an injury. I can ski for a week during the flat 9 day period and still have the swollen 3 days either side. Or I can do nothing and still have the same cycle of swelling.

I've had an arthroscopy which revealed some osteoarthritis but nothing significant. I am 48 female, slightly overweight but of muscular build - I do circuits by an ex-GB ski team member so quads are strong.  I've had fluid taken out of the knee and tested for gout/pseudogout. All clear. Not PVNS as the fluid didnt resemble 'irn bru' Tested for diabetes and all clear there. Seen a rheumatologist and instantly dismissed as being mechanical.  She just said it was 'water and would be reabsorbed by the body so nothing to worry about' - charming!!

Started to see an osteopath who has identified that the popliteal tendon and a muscle at the rear of the knee seem to be the problem. I went last night so that he could see the swelling in action. There is some inflammation and the swelling is mainly on the upper section behind the kneecap, compartmented in the synovium. It is beginning to be painful (esp on inside of knee) now whereas before it was just disccomfort. Naturally I can bend the knee much when swollen.

The baffling thing is the cyclical swelling - why 3/9? Why is it doing that? What's causing it? If I knew what was causing it then i could work on the knee to reduce the swelling.

Has anyone else had  similar symptoms? I have a full-time desk job and commute 12 hours per week by train.

Thanks for reading.

Sassyka!

Offline fintip

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Possibly the weirdest knee ever....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
3 days, 3 hours, 3 weeks? When you say 'flat', you mean symptom free non swelling fine?

How many times have you been through this cycling? twice, or ten times? Have you kept a calendar/diary to document it?

The cycles have to be related to something. Things to consider:

Diet
physical activity other than skiing
footwear

Sounds like an interesting puzzle!

Offline Sassyka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Possibly the weirdest knee ever....
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
Oops - sorry! I meant 3 days swollen and 9 days non-swollen. This cycle constantly repeats itself. I ski for 8 days per year and, if I am lucky,  the actual skiing days are during the non-swollen days. I am an advanced/expert skier with good technique so I dont see skiing being the cause of this strange knee.

I have looked into diet, seen a nutritionist (for another problem) but I still had the same cycle of 3 and 9.

My physio has noted my quad muscle is extremely tight (on same leg as the problem knee) and mentions that it could cause swelling but is baffled by the 3/9 cycle. He's working to clear the quad muscle just now and I'll see if that makes an impact.

Thanks