Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery or Not  (Read 5669 times)

Offline BigKneehurts

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery or Not
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »
I injured my knee about 6 weeks ago playing basketball. Landed badly off a jump.

I had an MRI that showed complete ACL tear and 2 MM meniscus tear.
I have seen 3 orthos. They all say the same thing. I need an ACLr. The problem is only 1 bothered to examine my knee. He did the Lachmens and drawer test and said my knee showed no sign of a tear. He still says I need surgery based on the MRI.
I'm scheduled for surgery in a week. I have been doing self rehab and my knee gets better everyday. I now have almost full range of motion. I can walk fine. (Slight limp at times. Bones are still a little bruised)
I can ride the bike for 30 minutes with no pain and today I jogged for 5 minutes.

Should I cancel the surgery and continue rehab? I feel like I'll be back to square one if I have the surgery now.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
Re: Surgery or Not
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:45 AM »
You can always reschedule a surgery -cannot go back once it's done.  If I were you & getting better with therapy then I would cancel & see how things go.  Worst case scenario the knee doesn't get better or starts to get worse & you go into surgery 100% sure it is the best option, rather than how you are felling now.  MRIs have been wrong & should NEVER replace a good exam.  If an exam doesn't produce a positive drawer test I would believe that over an MRI.  Go with your gut & stick with rehab.  Just my opinion, but if I could go back to before surgery #1 I would never do it again.  Best of luck to you.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

support