Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Screw problems  (Read 628 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Screw problems
« on: November 17, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Hi everyone!
I haven't posted on here in a long time, years in fact.  Over the last few years I've had pain in my knee and found out I do have mild RSD which I'm pretty much just living with. The last 3 weeks I've been having major problems though with feeling a huge amount of pain and pressure in my knee, mainly around my tibia and patellar tendon. I went to see my OS and he sent me for an MRI because he was concerned it could have been something going on with my tibial tubercle itself. The MRI showed that the bone is fine but I apparently have irritation of the area by my screw, as well as the formation of some scar tissue in that area. My drs answer for this was just take Advil. Well, I'm in horrible pain where I really have trouble functioning in my everyday life so Advil isn't really going to do much. He gave me Diclofenac and Vicodin when I saw him and I've been taking that. The Vicodin helps, haven't seen much improvement with the Diclofenac though. Anyway, I'm just not really sure what to do at this point. If it doesn't feel better in a week or so I guess I have no option but to go back to the dr. Is it reasonable for me to ask him to remove the screw? I just feel like if it's bothering me this much, why not do something about it? This particular screw has been in for at least 6 or 7 years. I'd appreciate any input or advice anyone has. It's just that this is really affecting me...I can't sit for too long, I can't stand for too long, it pretty much hurts all the time and it's almost like I can feel the screw because there's a really uncomfortable feeling of pressure right where it is. Thanks for any help!
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Psy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Screw problems
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
why is the screw there?, after 6-7 years it may not be needed anymore and removal may be best, as we age our bones do change...it may be time for this screw to become a souvenier?

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Screw problems
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
It's from my patellar tendon reconstruction, from the bone block that was put in to put the tendon in the right position. But that surgery was in 2005 so I'm pretty sure the screw is no longer necessary. It's funny because I was just looking back at some of my old posts and as far back as 2007 I was having pain by this screw site. I don't know why my dr won't just remove the damn thing already!!
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

support