Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: returning to sport  (Read 738 times)

Offline noodlegirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
returning to sport
« on: November 17, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
Hi,

Can I ask you guys what advice you've all been given about when it is OK to return to sport?

After 5 months and an epic physio failure that set me back quite a way I'm now able to climb up and down without pain, swim without pain, and I can jump rope without pain (only tried this for 15 mins though), and bend and straighten with a bit of discomfort rather than pain - but to be honest I think some of this is in my head rather than my knee.

I was wondering if it's OK to go back to sport (I do thai boxing) at this stage but taking it easy, missing out anything that is knee un-friendly) and just stopping if there is any pain, or if it's too soon and I should experiment with running and jumping rope for longer (this is an unfortunate staple of any thai boxing gym warm up), before risking going back.

Thanks

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
Re: returning to sport
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
It's great to hear that you're on the mend! I don't know what your injuries were nor what kind of challenges Thai boxing presents, but if the setting allows for modification of moves, you might give it a try. I returned to karate a week after ACL revision, but I sat on a bench and did karate from the waist up. I kept a pair of 8 pound weights on the bench with me so I would do some of the moves with weights to make it more of a workout. As I healed and gained strength, I left the bench and particpated more fully, but still with no kicking and no partner work. Any move requiring pivoting had to be modified. It worked well for me and allowed me to be a part of something I care about even if I couldn't do everything.

My concern would be that it can sometimes be difficult to modify the moves and that you would get so caught up in it - especially if you're training with a partner, that you would end up tweaking something and it would set you back.  That's something you just have to work out.  In the past when I've had an injury I would go to the dojo by myself and work out alone. This ensured that I went at my own pace and nobody else's. If there's any chance that your training could "get away from you" you might just play it safe and gain strength with running and jumping rope and other exercises. Do you belong to a gym?

Best of luck to you!
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: returning to sport
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
Our recoveries are all at different rates as is progression to sport. This is simply something you need to work with your doctor and/or PT to progress towards. Be clear about what your sport involves and they should be able to help you safely return. The readiness for this is very much an in person hands on assessment of your stregth and proprioception.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening