Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New and trying to figure it out  (Read 1074 times)

Offline shaush1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New and trying to figure it out
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Hi! I came across this site while looking for answers and was quite impressed with all the knowledge I found. So, here's my story....

I am a healthy 26 year old woman (healthy weight). A week and a half ago I injured my knee at work while jumping rope (i'm a teacher). I'm not sure what happened, just that when my foot hit the ground, I felt a sharp pain with a pop/tearing sensation. I immediately sat down as I could not bear weight at all. After about 20 minutes, I was able to hobble to my classroom to ice it. I went to the ER where they took X-rays that showed only an effusion, gave me an immobilizer and crutches and sent me home. Because this is a work place injury, I am now being forced to see a workers comp doctor. When I went to the workers comp dr, he noted a lot of swelling (3+) and mentioned a soft-end point on one of the tests he performed. He then said he suspects an ACL tear and ordered an MRI. I am still waiting on the authorization for the MRI.

My physical symptoms include not being able to fully straighten or bend my leg, but I am able to  bear my full weight on my bended knee without pain.  I have slowly been able to increase my ROM over the last week and can now almost walk normally. My knee is still swollen, but not as bad and the pain is only bad when I accidentally extend too much. Also, when walking, it occasionally gives out and feels like it is bent backwards (really painful!)

So, in your collectives experiences, does this sound like an ACL injury? I am concerned that because this is a workers comp claim, that it will take forever to get the ball moving. If it is indeed a complete rupture, I fully intend on having surgery; I am much to active and competitive to not.

Thanks for reading!
Shaush

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: New and trying to figure it out
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:12 AM »
Ugh - so sorry to hear about your injury. It's always tough to be on the sidelines when you're used to living an active life.

While I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've been lucky and avoided an ACL tear, your symptoms and their progression are almost identical to mine after I tore my ACL skiing. Like you I was able to resume weight-bearing fairly quickly, but it took longer to get flex and extension back and I had a couple of those horrible buckling incidents early on. If you're fit and your legs are strong you'll probably bounce back from the immediate aftermath of the injury quite quickly, even if the ACL is completely gone.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the MRI brings good news. If not, don't panic too much about the delay while you go through worker's comp. ACL tears are rarely reconstructed immediately because it's important to regain full flex, extension, and as much strength as possible before surgery. Use whatever time you have to wait to work on an aggressive prehab strengthening program which will really benefit you when during your recovery. There's a really good article on this over on the Information Hub, with recommendations for exercises to do and ones to avoid if you're ACL deficient.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline KPo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • "You become what you believe"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
Shaush1977

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I thought I would give you my two cents as my acl injury was a workmans comp claim as well. Since the day I tore my acl, workmans comp has been absolutely wonderful!

The afternoon I tore my acl, I was taken to the emergency room. X-rays showed a tiny fracture in my femur so the doctor did an emergency mri. Found the mri results out immediately and it was confirmed, torn acl:( Next day, I went and saw workman comp dr who referred me to a great orthopedic group. Had pre-surgery pt to get rom back and had knee reconstructed one month later. I'm about 6 months since surgery and am still in pt, 3x a week. The great thing with work comp is unlimited pt visits to get me back to full duty. A lot of people can only do so many pt visits due to their insurance, so I consider myself very fortunate in having unlimited medical care for my knee to get me back to where I was.

I hope you have no issues with work comp and sail right through the process.  Good luck with you mri, hang in there!
October 1999: Partial ACL tear (L knee). Arthroscopic surgery
April 2013: Complete ACL tear, grade 2 MCL sprain (L knee)
May 2013: ACLr using/hamstring

Offline shaush1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:26 AM »
Thanks for your replies! I got a call today to schedule the MRI so, I have an appt on Wednesday afternoon. The dr. listed the ICD-9 code as a knee contusion. Will this affect the MRI? Like, will they only be looking for a contusion?

I still can't completely straighten my leg, and it's still giving out on me several times a day. Do you guys have any good tips to help with this? My Dr. is having me wear a hinged brace, but it doesn't help to keep my knee from buckling and locking out.

Thanks again!
-Shauna

support