Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hard fall on ice...severe knee pain now  (Read 4911 times)

Offline khgulledge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
hard fall on ice...severe knee pain now
« on: January 27, 2004, 11:42:20 PM »
hi all...first time to post...

we have been housebound since sunday due to snow/ice, and i wanted to get out a little this morning....well, my family and i made it about half a mile up the icy road (slipping & sliding) when i fell really hard on my r knee.

very painfull, we kept on walking (had to get back home!)....anyway, i have lots of pain on the outside moving towards the inside across the front of my knee.  some swelling is present, can't put hardly any weight on it to walk around the house, going up or down steps is out of the question, no bending without extreme pain....

i have taken ibuprofen at 11am & 4pm, used ice about every hr for 20-30 minutes and had it elevated.  i know you guys are dr's and probably can't tell me what's wrong, but should it not feel any better by tomorrow, should i go see my ortho?  (i had my L knee 'scoped 2yr ago).  could i have gotten a hairline fracture of something or torn a meniscus???

thanks for any info and ideas.

karen.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: hard fall on ice...severe knee pain now
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 12:29:59 AM »
Hey!!!!

Welcome ;) but sorry you (k)need to be here... :-X

As for what's wrong with your knee, we can only guess... Did your fel on your knee? Or did you twist it? Did it give out? Hard to tell... It COULD be meniscus damage, or ligament damage, or a patella problem, either way, to be sure call the doc.

As long as you cannot see an OS or your GP, do the RICE-protocol : Rest Ice Compression Elevation
Take painmeds and try to do ROM exercises (if even possible). Don't stay totally immobile (prevention of DVT!).

I am not a dr, but I do work in the medical (ortho) field. But I am not allowed to diagnose anyone, let alone no one can diagnose over a PC. I hope your knee feels better soon, call your doc or make an appt. to be sure what's (or what isn't) wrong.

All the best!!!

~Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 09:51:10 PM »
Hi Karen:
Sorry you're here, but welcome all the same!
It sounds like you're doing all the right things in caring for your injured knee, but would add ROM (per Helena's suggestion).  Obviously, no one here can diagnose you, but you knew that.  Certainly if you continue to have pain, stiffness, swelling, bruising, etc. tomorrow it would be wise to have it looked at to rule out any serious problems.
Let's hope it's nothing more than a "boo-boo"...keep us posted!
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline khgulledge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 11:32:19 PM »
well, decided to go to dr today.....

OS looked/moved/wiggled then aspirated a vial of blood!

going tonight for mri and then back monday to see what the prognosis is.

damn, wish i had stayed inside yesterday instead of trying to walk on the icy roads.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 11:32:33 PM by khgulledge »

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 07:07:12 AM »
Oh, Karen!

I'm so sorry about your fall! We all want just that one second back, don't we?

Good luck with the MRI! Please let us know how it goes, and I hope your pain decreases.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March