Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 week post op HTO new pain following fall  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Jenny74

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 week post op HTO new pain following fall
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »
Hi just need a bit of advice I'm 4 weeks post op HTO recovery being going well this is my second knee to have this op and things been better this time round but on Tuesday I was getting too confident getting around I'm not weight bearing so I'm using a walking frame and a chair with wheels I was cleaning the kitchen in the chair when I went to get out chair onto frame my foot slipped I fell back to sit in chair but chair shot backwards and I fell on floor with a bang. Initially the pain shot up my back and bum after sitting on floor crying I had to bum shuffle from kitchen to hall stairs to gradually get back up was a mission but did it. Anyway I took extra pain killers my back and bum sore but no pain in HTO site so thought I wouldn't need to get checked has DR would not be pleased at what I'd done but yesterday Thursday my knee started getting painful around outer side and back of knee I've had no sleep all night due to this pain meds numb it but don't take it away it's now early Friday morning and I'm in pain still outer side and back of knee and more worrying is at physio 3 weeks post op I was bending 55 degrees this morning I can't bend it due to pain its more swollen and pains going down my leg into my ankle. Just wondering is this after effect from fall and will right its self in few days or could I have done damage I'm on klexane. Injections so don't think it's a blood clot I don't want to see my DR has he not very nice and will shout at me I'm very low anyway at mo keep crying for no real reason I don't want DR to make me feel worse. Any advice appreciated please all this could just be normal couldn't it.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 4 week post op HTO new pain following fall
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
Accidents happen.  Call your surgeon, he'll need to examine the knee to know if you've done anything serious.  I am sure he won't shout at you :)   No one on the internet can know whether / what you have done, just offer advice and support

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
We have all done silly things when we have been rehabbing, unfortunately wheely chairs have a habit of sliding off on their own. I used one myself.
I would suggest you try to see your OS, sure he won't shout at you. Best to get things checked out sooner rather than later, just in case.
I have had a HTO, so know it's not an easy recovery, I had days where I just felt like crying, but it does get better, you need to make the phone call to your OS, he may not be as bad as all that, maybe he had had a bad day too!
In the mean time, ice your knee, and rest as much as possible.
Let us know how you get on.

Offline Jenny74

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the surport the pains are still there all down back and behind knee I've totally rested today if things are no better in the morning then my hubby is taking me to the hospital to get it checked out I'll keep you posted and thanks again Jen