Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain/stiffness after total knee replacement; i'm new here; Help  (Read 715 times)

Offline tenprolisa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am a 48 year old athletic woman who used to teach tennis.  I tore my ACL as a teenager, which resulted in arthritic knee and bone on bone as a 30 year old..I had a high tibial osteotomy at 32, followed by a knee replacement at 42.  Since my knee replacement, i have been worse off than prior to my knee replacement.  Prior to the knee replacement, i had bone on bone pain but no restrictions with flexion or extension.  After my knee replacement, my recovery was uneventful, except for very high degrees of pain and a manipulation at 6 weeks for limited flexion.  After about 8 months of aggressive rehab, i had achieved flexion of about 125 degrees and my surgeon said i was like the poster child for knee replacements and that i wouldn't lose this motion.  After that, i continued to be very active, however, i progressively started losing flexion…My surgeon was completely shocked and did a knee aspiration to rule out infection and also i had a bone scan.  Infection was basically ruled out and the bone scan showed moderate uptake, however, my surgeon attributed that to my prior osteotomy surgery.  I tried PT and use of a flexionater machine, with no results.  I continue to have pain and stiffness in my knee now, with an ability to bend to less than 85 degrees.  I have seen a few surgeons for 2nd opinions, and they all are mystified at my outcome….2 of the surgeons think it could be a loose tibial component while my primary surgeon who did my surgery thinks excessive scar tissue.  My whole leg is now sore all the time as i must walk to compensate for my limited motion, my calf muscle is always tight and feels like a run a marathon every day…I even have a burning pain in the foot of that same affected leg.  I need some guidance as to what i can do; who i can go to that can help me…..Appreciate any input!
Thanks
Lisa

Offline sammi19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Chat with slee1701
Re: Knee pain/stiffness after total knee replacement; i'm new here; Help
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »
Lisa,
I'm so sorry for your pain. Your situation sounds extremely frustrating and I know chronic pain can really get a person down. I have no idea what could be wrong, unfortunately. But keep being proactive and relentlessly search for answers! I hope someone with more knowledge helps you out a bit more but I feel you.
-Sam
the bees knees

Offline tenprolisa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee pain/stiffness after total knee replacement; i'm new here; Help
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
hi Sam

thanks for your words of encouragement!
lisa