Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Microfracture in 2 weeks  (Read 542 times)

Offline piyochick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture in 2 weeks
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:47:09 AM »
Hello.
I'm a 37 yo female, and I've been a fitness instructor for about 1.5 years.
A little history, I fell while roller blading back when I was about 19, and I'm pretty sure that's where my knee issues started.

Left knee had surgery in 2001 - had plica trimmed and debridement of what I just realized was a grade 3 chondromalacia. (once I looked up my old records)

Been having a lot of pain recently and had some MRIs in Oct.
Right knee: some thinning of the articular cartilage (i think in the medial compartment). Some arthritis. Nothing can be done other than Cortisone shots.

Left knee:  torn cartilage on the back of the kneecap and grade 4 chondromalacia in the medial compartment.

I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks to fix the tear and have microfracture. The OR gave me the option of the MF, which I told him I need to do whatever is best in the long run. So, technically it's to fix the tear and "possible microfracture" (once he can see what we are dealing with he will decide if it can be done.)

OR told me crutches for 6 weeks, additional exercises for 4 more.  I don't know how many of those 6 will be NWB, and when I asked about the CPM machine he said he didn't use it.  I asked when I can return to teaching and he said it just depends. 

Obviously, I know I won't get back to teaching for at least 6 weeks, maybe even 10.  I'm going to be good, and follow all my PT - and I guess it takes as long as it takes. I just needed a place to vent/talk/get support/advice.

Thanks!