Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The Cancelled DFO Surgery  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
The Cancelled DFO Surgery
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
So I have been preparing for today (11/05/13) since June, 2013.  I get to the hospital, get called back to pre-op, they put in the IV, put a patch behind my ear for the nausea from the anesthesia, they even washed down my leg for the pending incision.  I knew I was getting close.

In walks my surgeon and I asked him "How are you?".  He says:  "Angry".  I replied "Well these things happen".  They had bumped me down on the surgery list a couple of times - and I thought that was what he was angry about.

No, he says:  "Somebody on my team made an error and we will not be doing your surgery today".  I thought he was getting ready to say:  "Ha, Ha - let's go".  But he did not.  He says:  "I do not have the correct plate to put in your leg and we cannot do your surgery today". 

I don't know if I should be grateful, angry or what.  My daughter says at least he was honest enough to tell us the truth.  He even said that he could use another plate but that he would not be happy about it and neither would I. 

I do know this however, when God moves - there is no stopping Him.  And for whatever reason I was not intended to have this surgery today.  So I am home waiting on a rescheduling.  If it gets cancelled a second time, there will not be a third.

Thank you God - for what ever you saved me from today. 

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
Re: The Cancelled DFO Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:08 AM »
Oh no! I agree it's Gods timing not mine! But, doesn't change the nerve factor!
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »
I'm so sorry!  I had my surgery postponed the friday before (it was scheduled for a tuesday morning), and was furious/frustrated/sad about having to wait to start my recovery for an entire extra month, and having to tell my family to reschedule the arrangements they made (time off from work, plane tickets) to come help out the week of. 

It ended up working out, sort of; when they tried to postpone again, I called the surgeon who gave me a second opinion (that was very close to my first opinion), and he could do it on the day i was rescheduled for (so my family wouldn't have to re-rebook), and it even reduced the drive time to and from the clinic by 20 minutes.  He explained what he was going to do and why much more carefully, and showed me on my MRI why I was never going to get better with only physical therapy, which wasn't something my original surgeon had acknowledged or noticed. I'm confident that the right procedures were done for the right reasons, which isn't a confidence I had with my last OS.

Don't give up!

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Dear JumboCrayon,

I remember reading in your blogs about how your first surgeon caused you to be delayed and delayed.  I have made up my mind that I will let this go once - but if it happens again - I will either say no thank you or I will change surgeons.  My boss is all for me changing doctors now, but I really like my surgeon and his whole team.  But - this certainly gives me cause for reconsideration.

I hope you are continuing to improve and recover.  I bet you are back to work already too.  I am looking so forward to getting where you are.

Regards,
Lee Tipton

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
    • new to knee geeks but not to knee problems
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
Lee,

What a bummer. I'm sorry that happened. I know we were talking about how waiting is the worst part and not evening having it scheduled isn't fun. I hope they can fit you in soon and that everything happens perfectly next time.

Sincerely,
Claire
11/19/12 R femoral neck osteoplastyFAI scope labrum
6/13/13 R femurtibia derotational osteotomies rod 2 screws femur plate 6screws tibia
12/18/13 femur plating non union
6/30/14 tibia hardware removal
11/3/14 femur hardware removal
5/11/15 L PAO
12/7/15 plating PAO nonunion
8/14/16 hardware removal

drmark

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
You might consider seeing someone who regularly performs deformity correction.

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
So sorry to hear about this! I would definitely be questioning things after that mishap....and it kind of frightens me a bit to hear that he would have used a different plate if you had insisted, even though he would not have been happy with it. Is this the only surgeon you have seen, or have you gotten other opinions? Might be worthwhile since you had to have the procedure postponed anyway. I can't imagine reporting to the hospital at 5 am, getting the IV, only to discover at the last minute that things hadn't been taken care of like they should have for such an expensive and large procedure.

So sorry this happened to you!

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:14 AM »
To all my surgered, recovering, in pain roomies!!!

Thank you all for your caring comments, it helps and I know you all know how much.  Just a kind word to get each of us through that current minute of pain, our concern about a new hurt we just felt, or whatever is going on at the moment with our legs is what these boards are all about!  I am so happy that these boards are here.

I received a phone call at 2 minutes to quitting time (on my job) from the leader of my doctor's team.  My surgery has been re-scheduled for Tuesday.  Believe it or not - that date is 11-12-13!!!  But I do not have a superstitious bone in my body - because I am a Christian!!!

I prefer to believe that God was in full control of every circumstance that happened yesterday and that He will remain in control as I go through this surgery.  Thank You Father!!!

In case you can't tell - I am stoked!!!  I want to get the surgery behind me because I want to get on with recovery.  And I know it is not a picnic nor an easy road to travel.  But I have all my research to fall back on - thanks to all of you that I have followed on these boards. 

I will try to post as often as I can - but I make no promises right away.  But I can dictate and have 3 kids that know how to type - so I will get something on here as often as i can.

I hope you all are doing great - keeping up with your PT and taking care of yourselves.

Warmest Regards and may God Bless you all!!
Lee Tipton

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »
Lee,

Congratulations on getting your surgery rescheduled and to a day that isn't far away. I am happy for you.

Claire
6/13/13 R femurtibia derotational osteotomies rod 2 screws femur plate 6screws tibia
5/11/15 L PAO
8/14/16 hardware removal

drmark

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
Good luck with your procedure.  It this a closing or an opening wedge osteotomy?

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
Dear Dr. Mark,

I am ashamed to tell you that I do not know the answer to this question - only because I have not asked.  And the truly sad thing is that I hold my CNA AND I worked for a pretty famous orthopedic surgeon at the beginning of my career.  Dr. Robert Hermann invented the Herrington Rod that is used in scoliosis surgeries - of which he did many.  My niece had scoliosis and he did her back - 2 rods - one up near her shoulder blades and one in the lower back area. 

I am sure that if I asked Dr. Giordani - he would give me all the details - but honestly - I don't want to know.  I know it is going to hurt.  But I am hurting now.  My right ankle is very painful and my right hip is starting to bother me as well.  I know that I have considerable osteoarthritis in my knee and some in my right hip as well.  Dr. Giordani is intending to replace this right knee within a year - we will see.  I am not going to do it until I have NO choice. 

I have a better than a 17 degree curve in this right knee - going to the inside - which makes me appear to be knockkneed.  On my paperwork he is calling the surgery a distal femoral osteotomy.  I just know that last Tuesday was supposed to be the day - but somebody did not order the plate he wanted to use in my leg - so it did not happen.  But tomorrow I have a feeling that I am going to wake up in all kinds of pain.  I have asked for a femoral block and I am praying that God will be with me and that the block will keep me out of most of the pain.

Dr. Mark I want to thank you.  You are a doctor and these people on here - including myself - value your opinion and input.  Thank you for taking your time to address our concerns, pains and whatever else is going on in our lives.

Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

Offline christine67

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Hi Lee,

Good luck with your Op I hope everything goes well for you.

Chrissy67
Dislocation in both knees in late teens
1988 realignment of R/knee
2009 Dislocations start again
Oct 2011 scope
Dec 2011 femoral de-rotation
April 2012 bone graft
Aug 2012 metal work removed and replaced with plate
Aug 2013 PFJR, tibia tuberosity transfer
April 2014 femur hardware removal.

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Dear Lee-

Continue to be brave and you will do great tomorrow :)  Are they doing a sciatic nerve block as well as a femoral?  They did not do it for me pre-op because people who get the fulkerson osteotomy don't always need it, but I woke up from my surgery screaming, and they had to do it post-op. That was inconvenient for both me and my anasthetic team because they had some trouble getting my post-op loopy body to coordinate and lay far enough over on my side to put the nerve block in.  Then again, my osteotomy was different from the one you're receiving, but your note about the femoral nerve block made me remember, and it might be something you want to ask about (if you haven't already discussed it with your team).

Either way, I know you'll do great, and look forward to hearing from you as you recover!
Jess

Offline cbrady

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
Dear Lee,

Good luck tomorrow and I look forward to reading about your experience. My thoughts will be with you.

Sincerely,
Claire
5/11/15 L PAO
8/14/16 hardware removal

Offline jennifer184

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
Good luck tomorrow! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and pain is manageable.  I will be anxious to hear about your recovery and rehab as I prepare for my surgery in exactly a month.

I will also be praying for you and your surgeons tomorrow.
-Jen
3/03- R knee dislocated
rest of 03 knee kept dislocating
1/30/04- R knee lateral release
11/05- L knee dislocated
2013- both knees pain increasing but R worse
12/11/13- R knee MPFL reconstruction, TTT and  lateral release