Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 knee surgeries in 11 months. Things worse than ever. Advice would be helpful  (Read 861 times)

Offline Dmacc10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm a very active 23 year old dying to to get healthy again..

About 2 and a half years ago I blew my ACL and mensicus while playing basketball and figured it was something minor (my family is not much for doctors) I continued to play on ot actually the same day and another two years before I finally went and saw a doctor about it who was surprised I had been able to keep up the physical activity with the injury.

I had ACL reconstruction and mensicus repair last December and while the ACL healed very nicely I have had other extreme problems in my knee. Nothing ever felt quite right to the point of it would still give out from time to time. It got so bad this past month and swelled extremely and then it just locked up for about three weeks, not too mention my opposite knee is in terrible shape now from being the dominant one.

Anyway I'm pretty close with my doc so we set up a scope for last Friday, went in trimmed some of the mensicus and cleared some scar tissue. Instantly I felt relief, I was in the best mood I have been in years , I could finally walk without my knee catching and no pain!!  My doc also mentioned that he did not see much wrong with my knee which concerned me because the catching was definitely not in my head.

Well now three days go by and it's the same old crap. While my knee does feel more stable I started to notice that catching sensation..   I'm now sitting here at work basically immobile because every step somethin catches horribly right under my knee cap. I will admit it only occurs now when I'm walking, going heel to toe. I can lay down and go straight leg to bent with not much problem. I know it won't happen but I'm scared a bone is just going to explode through my knee cap.

Man if anyone has ever had this please let me know.  I'm scared, I've got a rough family life And only real outlet is sports. I'm 5-6 160 and my whole game in sports is cutting and jumping A LOT so u know I've been rough on my knees but I'll just be happy if I can walk now

Offline Dmacc10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I've been reading more and more about this today and it definitely seems like I have some kind of tracking disorder, I just don't understand how it is this severe. The catching is the nastiest thing I have ever experienced. I'm at a loss for words, need to see a doctor but can't even manage to walk to
Car

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
It's only been a few days since your scope or a week? I noticed that I had some catching sensation in my knee for weeks, if not months after my knee surgery in March. It was a major knee surgery though so recovery time was much longer than just a scope. You also mentioned that he removed some scar tissue so maybe there is a little more still in there giving that sensation as well as fluid/swelling from the surgery. I had that same horrible feeling that my knee cap was going to dislocate and would catch when I tried to bend my knee weeks after my surgery. I'm not sure if it was scar tissue or what but I know mine wasn't my knee cap because my OS had just realigned my knee cap so that it would not dislocate anymore.

I would call your Dr and ask them if these sensations are normal for your recovery. Are you going to physical therapy? They might be able to answer your question too. As far as a tracking disorder that is another question for your Dr. He should have been able to tell if you had one when he did his exam of your knee.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Anyway I'm pretty close with my doc so we set up a scope for last Friday, went in trimmed some of the mensicus and cleared some scar tissue. Instantly I felt relief, I was in the best mood I have been in years , I could finally walk without my knee catching and no pain!!  My doc also mentioned that he did not see much wrong with my knee which concerned me because the catching was definitely not in my head.

Well now three days go by and it's the same old crap. While my knee does feel more stable I started to notice that catching sensation.. 

The time immediately after surgery is the "honeymoon" period.  You feel great and symptoms are gone.  Then about 7-10 days they return.  Been there done that...
Was this your medial or lateral meniscus? Did he mention anything about the cartilage under your patella?