Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: damage to quad tendon  (Read 9050 times)

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
Re: damage to quad tendon
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Frank, very best wishes for next week's surgery.  Once it's done get your private physio working on your knee.  I've had mine manipulating my knee today but the NHS physio doesn't move my kneecap at all.  She's very hands off.  I think the more movement you can get, whether it's CPM, massage or just walking about, the better.

I was on the interferential machine again today.  It isn't used for pain relief but to help with swelling.  Like you I've been icing my leg but the swelling is slowly going down.  I'm back at work now, part time so I'm feeling tired more.

Stuart, you mention three very different outcomes among the people your physio is treating.  I'm very impressed by the progress you're making with the more aggressive approach that's taken in North America.  How are the others getting on?  Are any of them struggling?

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
Sella, Fishy here.  I have progressed slow and steady for 22 weeks.  9 weeks wearing braces, rom 135 both legs now, slight pain standing and sitting (using quads only).  Knee doesn't swell now but loose skin from loss of tightness from regular exercise...I gotta hit the gym!  Up/down stairs still make me "worried" so I hug the railing.  Living in Alaska I have to concern myself with icy walking conditions but I will contend with that by wearing special clamp on spikey slip on contraptions (that are a mess to wear, but worth the effort...}.
Frank, my prayers go out to you and I definitely will be awaiting results from you.  Remember, patience BUT ask a million questions and be proactive, not reactive. 

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks guys for your support, this really is a great resource for us knee sufferers!!

Its very strange just waiting for a phone call to go under the knife. I am not looking forward to this I must admit, I was hoping that this would be done arthroscopically not the full open knee surgery, but I dont get the choice!

My thoughts are that I will be icing a lot to keep the heat and swelling down, teaching my wife how to manipulate the knee cap, and make sure that I keep the knee moving without being over aggressive with it, I don't want the scar tissue to return as bad as it is now.

I have aims and goals that I want to achieve, the first of which is driving again, I've missed it so much, and I hate relying on everyone else to get me about or fetch things for me.

Fishy thats great you have 135 degrees both legs, that must be nearly max flexion for you...well done!!!

Sella, great that youre back working, just dont overdo it!

All the best

Frank
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »
Sella. Due to our Privacy Laws my PT has not been able to discuss other patients particulars, but I have gleaned some information. The Gentleman injured on the same weekend as I had to wait 4 days for surgery, by which time I was already back at work. Being self employed with high overhead expenses is a great motivating factor! My weak wrists which forced me to abandon my crutches within the first week also forced me onto my feet before I had even seen my PT.Given the fact he was injured at a local Sports facility I have to conclude he is reasonably active, but apparently his recovery has not been as rapid as mine.
   The third member of our "Club" is a72 year old lady who apparently walked( hobbled) into the Emergency room of her Hospital 2 days after her fall. This may have contributed to the attending Physician not even taking her seriously enough to remove her sweat-pants to examine her knee properly before sending her home. It was almost 2weeks later that her injury was properly diagnosed. This does indicate that no one jurisdiction is inherently superior and is why I daily thank my lucky stars that they fell into alignment the way they did!
  That she, not surprisingly, is not recovering as well as I is suggested by the fact that she apparently " went bananas" when she heard that I had done The Grind at 6 weeks post-op!
  My heart goes out to her.
When all is said and done there were 4 factors that I feel contributed to my speedy progress

1- rapid diagnosis and surgery (15 hours from accident to OR).

2- being ( though I say it myself) extremely fit for my age. 65.

3- not experiencing  ANY pain, pre or post-op, so no pain killers, allowing a rapid return to work giving me something to focus on.

4- my use of exercise to combat my Clinical Depression ! This may seem odd but I was willing to take
Whatever measures were necessary, regardless of risks, to regain my level of activity. My PT, whom I have known for 25 years utilized this drive!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
Stuart,

Its a shame you cant bottle and sell what you have. It appears that lady luck sits in your corner and that is great.

The other 2 cases are probably progressing at speeds considered to be normal I guess.

Take care

Frank

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
Good mornig folks,

Has anyone else had issues with their "good" knee?

The past couple of weeks I have redeveloped a bakers cyst on my good knee and to be honest with regards to pain/discomfort its probably worse than my operated on knee!

I put this down to the extra strain the knee has had to endure of the last few months.

Has anyone had use of a cpm machine? My OS has said i will be using one once she has released the scar tissue, and will be staying in the hospital for a few days whilst I use the machine. Plus I am assuming there will be some extra PT from the ward physios.

Frosty outside this morning, I need to go out too... extra care needed!

stay safe everyone and happy rehabbing!

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
Frank. With you on the "good" knee. Mine too is more uncomfortable than the damaged one. Had my Chiropractor check it out and he says it's fine, but definitely feeling the strain!
   Heard from my OS and sent him a long e-mail filled with questions. Have to see if he responds.
Be careful all as the adverse weather approaches!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »
My good knee also started to feel the strain, especially when I was coming down stairs.  I've been taking Glucosamine and fish oil and it has improved.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

support