Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patello Femoral Replacement - 6 weeks post op questions  (Read 820 times)

Offline EsmieP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patello Femoral Replacement - 6 weeks post op questions
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and also had never had surgery before 6 weeks ago. I had chronic sublaxation / dislocation of the knee cap since I was 16 years old and finally persuaded a GP to refer me to see a consultant at the age of 40. Therefore at this point the only option, due to the irrepairable damage to my knee was a patella femoral replacement which was carried out 6 weeks ago in Bristol by Jonathan Eldridge. During the surgery he also advanced my MPFL and the VMO muscle in my Quad to improve stability as my primary concern was to stop the dislocations. Initially the op seemed to go really well and I was pretty much pain free straight after and only had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets (much to my relief). The NHS being what they are I only had my first physio session yesterday but had been trying to bend the knee and do leg raises to this point and had progressed slowly but surely. I was weight bearing the day after the operation and have been driving for a few weeks. However I'm really concerned (and this is going to sound ridiculously vain) as my knee still looks absolutely massive in comparison to the other one and this doesn't feel like swelling, it feels rock hard. I have slim legs and am always complimented on them and I asked before the op if my knee would look 'normal' post op other than the scar and was told it would do. Is this normal or does anyone else have the same issue? Do other people who have had a PFR have a normal looking knee or is it much bigger than the other one? Basically I have one leg that now looks totally different to the other one. It still looks massively swollen but I'm not convinced this is actually swelling. The huge bit seems to be at the bottom of my knee beneath the knee cap. Since the physio yesterday I've also had pain in the back of my knee and think I have now got a bakers cyst which is quite sore and I'm limping again whilst yesterday I was walking normally. I used to get bakers cysts before the op but hoped the op would stop these form occurring. Can anyone offer me any reassurance at all?  Is this normal? Many thanks for any advice in advance.

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
Re: Patello Femoral Replacement - 6 weeks post op questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
Can't speak to all you have going on, but as to the size of your knee-it should normalize after a few months (not weeks).  I would check with surgeon as to it feeling hard...  It will never look exactly the same as the other leg again, but with good physio work you should be able to get close.  I would still give OS office a call, especially if you think you have Baker's cyst as they may want to modify physio plan. 
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014