Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 weeks post-op. Sharp pain in foot comes and goes... is that expected?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
I had a TTT/LR/MPFL surgery on my left knee 3 weeks ago, and am only using my narcotics as needed (about 1/2 tab a day, usually).  Before my surgery they performed a femoral nerve block, and when I woke up screaming after surgery, they performed a sciatic nerve block, which resulted in my whole foot and ankle going numb and becoming unusable for about 20 hours, at which point feeling returned and I thought everything was back to normal, BUT...

I'm having sporadic sharp pains in my left foot (like stabbing pains), and an occasional tingling sensation around my big toe, and it seems to be worse when the swelling is elevated more than usual (which was very frequent last week, less frequent this week), but still noticeable every single day.  I seem to notice it more at night-- not sure if that's just because it coincides with when I'm the most swollen...

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this happening?  What should I do?  I didn't read about this in the side-effects paperwork, but being itchy wasn't listed there either, and that was something that is normal, so I just don't know.

Offline seant46

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: 3 weeks post-op. Sharp pain in foot comes and goes... is that expected?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
I would call your surgeon and ask what he thinks. There is risk of bloot clots after surgery(although its rare) which can be very very serious. Does you ankle swell or just have pain? Are you having any trouble breathing?

It could just be that your ankle is compensating for the weak knee right now, but you dont want to risk it being a clot so give the surgeon a call in case he thinks you should go to the hospital.

As for being itchy, this is most likely from the pain meds if they are opiates. Its normal to feel itchy from taking opiates.
Right knee:
Sept 11/13 - Plica excision and scraped patella
Currently dealing with portal scar tissue from surgery, patellar tracking and patellar tendinopathy at the tibial tuberosity.

Left knee:
Currently dealing with less severe tracking and tendinopathy.

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the response-- There's no swelling and no trouble breathing.  Its my actual foot, not the ankle.  Ankle is completely normal.  The sharp pains I get are in my toes or arch of the foot area, occasionally towards the heel.  It's almost always towards the inside of my left leg.

My friend who is in nursing school that I talked to guessed from my description that I might have nerve damage from the nerve block that will heal by itself, or the swelling might be pinching a nerve. Any thoughts?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
There is a big nerve that runs down the leg and calf and into the big toe, think it is the peroneal nerve. Mine is damaged from fusion surgery on my foot. You may well have some form of nerve irritation of this nerve, possibly from the block but probably more likely from the actual knee surgery - I am assuming it was open surgery? Similarly the nerve may be compressed when your swelling is worse.

I'd probably monitor it for a few days and see if it reduces. If you're worried then get it checked out. Nerves do feel odd if they aren't happy but you aren't making a fuss if you've got a symptom that is worrying you. We know our bodies best so if you're still concerned ask to see a doctor.

Hope it settles down!

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
I have the same thing. My first ecperience I woke up in the middle of the night dreaming a dog was tearing off the bottom of my foot and then when I woke it dealt as if I were being sting or bugs biting my foot bottom. Once assure by my husband there were no bite marks and no bugs I could rest. I talked to i
OS and PT. They felt it was a nerve condition. Essential my nerves are not being stimulated (by walking) because I am nonweightbearing. So they are firing strange messages all the time. They are confused of what their job is so they aren't doing anything right. Those same nerves control the blood vessels in the foot and ankle and calf. Well they are not working right either so I got more swelling to. To help this problem - 3 times a day I have to massage and stimulate those nerves from mid calf to the toes. At first oh this hurt like nothing else and I would cry and scream. Now 3 weeks later it still isn't pleasant. But it's also not excruciating. The swelling is much better (not perfect but better) and the zinging pains are minimal. I am to be totally no weightbearing still, so to add a little extra stimulation I also drag my foot on the floor. I also get a butning sensation in that foot and ankle too. These things should pass as you start weight bearing if you have what I have. If you have pain or tightness I n back of calf though you need to let dr know right away that is a tell tell sign of blood clot
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
You might check out my
Blog too I talk about my
Journey with this nerve stuff in it a little
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT