Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sleeping without braces  (Read 7538 times)

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
Sleeping without braces
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:02:07 AM »
I currently sleep with braces on and pillow under knees.  (bilateral patella tendon rupture).  I plan to start taking the braces off and leaving the pillow under the knees so I remain on my back.  Has anyone had issues or concerns with this? 

I usually only take the braces off while awake.  Can't see why it would be a problem while sleeping given I am conditioned to stay sleeping on back.  I am 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery.
Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Sleeping without braces
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
I slept with mine on until the OS said it was OK to do without them.  They are mainly for protection if you toss and turn.  But I know how hard it is with both legs being in braces.  It is really uncomfortable.  Until such a time as I could roll over in bed, I slept on my back also, but then started sleeping on my side with my braces on and a pillow between the legs and especially the locking mechanisms.  I also knew that if I needed to get up in the middle of the night, I did not have to worry about putting them on. 

But, I guess it is up to you.  Just take care of your knees.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
I can only speak for myself...I am a double RPT and am at week 20.  I wore my braces day and night for the first 9 weeks.... as inconvenient, clunky and miserable the braces made me feel I kept the braces on for the entire 9 weeks.  Because of the drugs taken during that time I would pee at least once a night.  If you remove your braces to sleep what do you intend to do when/if you have to get up for a bathroom visit?  This is just my journey and being a double RPT it was a hassle for the first nine weeks.  Our mantra at this site is "patience".  Regardless, I wish you a speedy recovery....you and all the other RPT's are in my prayers.  Bob

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 259
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »
I did a double take when I saw the title of this thread on the kneetalk page because they abbreviated it to "Sleeping without bra...." and I wondered why fishy was contributing!  All became clear when I opened it up.

I found the hinged brace very uncomfortable.  Fortunately I'd kept my cricket splint (Zimmer in USA I think) and I changed into that for sleeping.  I slept on my back most of the time.  I'd put the hinged brace back on when I got out of bed during the day.

vonlehmd, is there a danger that if you sleep with a pillow under your knees while out of the brace your leg will be in a bent position and you'll lose the ability to straighten your leg?  Extension is important as well as flexion.  That would be my concern.

Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »
Thanks for the laugh...  Needed that.

I seem to do fine with keeping knees a little bent while sleeping.  Much more comfortable than keeping them straight all night for me. 

I think I will continue to do so with the hinged braces based on some feedback from others.  Surprising how my legs have adapted to these darn things over the weeks.

Dan VonLehmden
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Seek and ye shall find with this site.  I was just contemplating giving myself an early Christmas present and sleeping without the brace (7 weeks post op today) but reading this I get the message.  Warm thoughts to all of you in our Meccano-legged world for an excellent Christmas.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »
James. Merry Christmas to you and all our Club members across the Pond .
  My PT told me to stop wearing my brace at home at 4 weeks and I took this to include  bed. I have continued to sleep with a pillow between my knees, being a side sleeper, for the relief it gives my back.
  At seven weeks you should be able to make It to the WC at night without the brace. Shouldn't be too much traffic!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

support